This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3456 / 52°20'44"N
Longitude: -3.8176 / 3°49'3"W
OS Eastings: 276285
OS Northings: 273503
OS Grid: SN762735
Mapcode National: GBR 93.TBQS
Mapcode Global: VH4FW.S95P
Entry Name: Barn at Pendre Farm
Listing Date: 11 November 2004
Last Amended: 16 March 2005
Source ID: 83221
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the S side of the farmyard at Pendre.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Barn at former Hafod estate farm, uncertain date, but possibly late C18, or early C19. Thomas Johnes estate farm was a crescent shaped group of c. 1790, described in 1803 as including 'barns well-stocked with hay and oats'. Johnes demolished the farmyard in 1806, though it is not clear if all the buildings went. The 1832 sale catalogue does not mention a barn, but is not a complete inventory. A building is marked on the site on the 1834 estate map, and this may be the only building of the present farm group to be marked on the 1847 Tithe map. A barn is listed in the 1855 sale catalogue. On late C19 OS maps the farmyard is a four-sided courtyard, of which this barn survives on the E and a converted single-storey range (Pendre Isaf) on the N. The S and W sides were demolished before the 1905 map.
Barn, rubble stone and slate eaves roof with centre full height barn entry each side, each flanked by 2 long ventilation loops each side. Remains of a lean-to to right on W side has some dove-holes in return wall to right of barn entry. Three vent loops in each gable end. Doorway on E side has stone pier each side of barn entry.
Bolted pine roof trusses of post 1830 type.
Included as a substantial estate barn associated with the Hafod estate and group value with other listed buildings at Pendre.
Other nearby listed buildings