This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1838 / 53°11'1"N
Longitude: -4.1487 / 4°8'55"W
OS Eastings: 256517
OS Northings: 367350
OS Grid: SH565673
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.3DP1
Mapcode Global: WH54F.77PJ
Entry Name: Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Cattle Sheds at SE of Yard
Listing Date: 10 March 2006
Last Amended: 10 March 2006
Source ID: 83279
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: 1km NW of the village of Pentir, on the S side of the lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with the house backing on to its NE corner to face E.
Locality: Ty'n Llwyn
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Ty'n llwyn was a farm on the Vaenol estate of Thomas Assheton Smith. Map evidence suggests that a small early farm (in existence by c1780) was replaced by a larger scale farmstead between c1820 and c1830, though perhaps reconstructed as a model farmstead by its most notable tenant, John Owen. The farmhouse and a barn at the SW of the site appear to occupy the site of the earlier buildings, but the architectural evidence suggests that the farm was essentially laid out as a new model holding. In 1853, the tenancy was taken on by John Owen who farmed here until 1868: in that year, he was evicted for his Liberal political convictions, which placed him at odds with the Toryism of his landlord. John Owen was a methodist preacher and a pioneering farmer and writer on agriculture. He invested considerably in the improvement of the land at Ty'n llwyn. His interest in Welsh Black Cattle is possibly reflected in the design of this farm, which is laid out as a specialist stock-raising establishment.
L-shaped range of cattle-sheds defining the SE corner of the yard. Single storeyed, rough quarry dressed rubble combined with field stone, with characteristic coarse mortared joints and large slates to roofs. The cattle sheds comprise 6 bays on the E side of the yard, originally divided into two groups of 4 and 2, separated by a surviving yard wall, with a further 3 bays to the S. Each has a thin slate lintel over wide open entry (though some have subsequently been blocked). Two doorways in rear wall (one blocked). The sheds gave onto enclosed yards originally: the rough boulder walls of these survive to the left of the range, and after the first 4 bays. Attached at the left (N) end of this range, are the remains of another lower building: the roof, with rear and side walls. Chimney on its right hand gable, serving wide fireplace within. (perhaps this was pig sty and cegin foch?) Trusses survive, though lacking front support: they are of collar strut type, with wrought-iron braces and post. Attached to the right of the S range is a short length of wall, with wide entry to field beyond: quarried and field stone construction.
Cattle sheds have standard layout with feeding walk at rear (marked by connecting doors through dividing walls). Cobbled floors. King-post and strut bolted trusses of characteristic mid C19 type.
Listed as well-preserved cattle sheds, an integral part of an exceptionally complete large-scale planned specialist farmstead, retaining good estate character.
Other nearby listed buildings