This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1838 / 53°11'1"N
Longitude: -4.1485 / 4°8'54"W
OS Eastings: 256528
OS Northings: 367342
OS Grid: SH565673
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.3DQ5
Mapcode Global: WH54F.77SL
Entry Name: Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Detached barn outside Yard to E
Listing Date: 10 March 2006
Last Amended: 10 March 2006
Source ID: 83285
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: This barn lies in the field immediately E of the enclosed yard, and S of the house.
Locality: Ty'n Llwyn
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Ty'n llwyn was a farm on the Vaenol estate of Thomas Assheton Smith. Map evidence suggests that a small early farm (in existence by c1780) was replaced by a larger scale farmstead between c1820 and c1830, though perhaps reconstructed as a model farmstead by its most notable tenant, John Owen. The farmhouse and a barn at the SW of the site appear to occupy the site of the earlier buildings, but the architectural evidence suggests that the farm was essentially laid out as a new model holding. In 1853, the tenancy was taken on by John Owen who farmed here until 1868: in that year, he was evicted for his Liberal political convictions, which placed him at odds with the Toryism of his landlord. John Owen was a methodist preacher and a pioneering farmer and writer on agriculture. He invested considerably in the improvement of the land at Ty'n llwyn. His interest in Welsh Black Cattle is possibly reflected in the design of this farm, which is laid out as a specialist stock-raising establishment. The construction of this barn suggests that it may have pre-dated the enclosed yard.
Small barn. Rubble construction, mainly of field boulders, with large slates to roof. Doorways in each gable end, and to right of N wall; single window in S wall.
Divided by a cross wall into two spaces.
Listed as a well-preserved barn, closely associated with this exceptionally complete large-scale planned specialist farmstead. Retaining good estate character.
Other nearby listed buildings