This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1843 / 53°11'3"N
Longitude: -4.1493 / 4°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 256478
OS Northings: 367396
OS Grid: SH564673
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.3DJJ
Mapcode Global: WH54F.77D7
Entry Name: Ty'n Llwyn - Barn and Cowhouse at W of Yard
Listing Date: 10 March 2006
Last Amended: 10 March 2006
Source ID: 83281
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: 1km NW of the village of Pentir, on the S side of the lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with the house backing on to its NE corner to face E.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Ty'n llwyn was a farm on the Vaenol estate of Thomas Assheton Smith. Map evidence suggests that a small early farm (in existence by c1780) was replaced by a larger scale farmstead between c1820 and c1830, though perhaps reconstructed as a model farmstead by its most notable tenant, John Owen. The farmhouse and a barn at the SW of the site appear to occupy the site of the earlier buildings, but the architectural evidence suggests that the farm was essentially laid out as a new model holding. In 1853, the tenancy was taken on by John Owen who farmed here until 1868: in that year, he was evicted for his Liberal political convictions, which placed him at odds with the Toryism of his landlord. John Owen was a methodist preacher and a pioneering farmer and writer on agriculture. He invested considerably in the improvement of the land at Ty'n llwyn. His interest in Welsh Black Cattle is possibly reflected in the design of this farm, which is laid out as a specialist stock-raising establishment.
Barn and cow-house range. The higher barn is at the SW corner of the yard, and the cow-sheds adjoin it to the N, in two distinct ranges. Rough quarry dressed rubble with coarse mortared joints and large slates to roofs. Slate lintels to all openings. Dark red paint may be an estate colour. Barn has doorway to right with split boarded door, and blocked vents. Wider doorway aligned at rear, where there are also blocked vents. Adjoining the barn is a single bay shed, with boarded door to right, and window with glazed upper panel over boarded lower section. Beyond again is a longer shed, with window with glazed upper panel over slatted lower section to right, wide doorway with sliding doorway to centre, with partially blocked window alongside it. Adjoining to the right is a lower range, slightly stepped back: this comprises a series of split boarded doors and small windows with glazed upper panels and slatted lower sections. Rear has series of vents and doorways (2 from N shed, 1 from central shed).
Barn has remains of slate flagged floor, and bolted tie-beam truss; small holes in N end wall may have related to shafting for machinery; blocked loft doorway in S end wall. Bolted king post trusses to cow house range, but the lower range at the N end has collar truss roof with wrought iron braces and king post. Remains of setts on floor.
Listed as integral to an exceptionally well-preserved large-scale specialist planned farmstead which retains good estate character.
Other nearby listed buildings