This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4365 / 52°26'11"N
Longitude: -4.0054 / 4°0'19"W
OS Eastings: 263771
OS Northings: 283946
OS Grid: SN637839
Mapcode National: GBR 8W.MLFB
Mapcode Global: VH4FD.J1C1
Plus Code: 9C4QCXPV+HR
Entry Name: Plas Gwyn
Listing Date: 31 January 2005
Last Amended: 31 January 2005
Source ID: 83667
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1 km E of Gogerddan, in own grounds on N side of road just W of Penrhyncoch.
Built-Up Area: Penrhyn-coch
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Smaller gentry house, late C18, built for the Gogerddan estate and called Gloucester Hall until 1961, apparently named for a Pryse family connection with the county. Lewis Pryse who inherited in 1774 came from Painswick, Glos. but the name Gloucester Hall is recorded back to 1755. It was occupied after 1815 by Richard Claridge, estate manager to the Gogerddan estate. Marked on 1845 Tithe map.
House, whitewashed rubble stone with slate close-eaved roofs. Two storeys, renewed 12-pane sashes generally.
S front has projecting hipped section to left with sash over shallow canted bay of 2-12-2 panes. Left side wall has square rubble stone chimney. Short right return wall has sash over half-glazed door. Three-bay main range to right with brick chimney on ridge to left (stone in old photograph) and massive stone end chimney to right. Shorter sashes above (9-pane in old photograph), and ground floor has sash to left, C20 French window centre (door with lozenge tracery to overlight in old photograph) and 2-12-2-pane shallow canted bay to right. Rubble right end wall with C20 window to ground floor right. Outshut to rear with kitchen.
Attached to rear of left section, with straight joint, is an altered rubble stone two-storey range with C20 flat roof. Half-glazed door in C20 lean to porch to ground floor right and 4-pane C19 sash above.
Not available for inspection, said to have been much altered in late C20.
Included as a substantial Georgian house retaining original character, associated with the Gogerddan estate.
Other nearby listed buildings