History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone on A4120

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontarfynach, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3787 / 52°22'43"N

Longitude: -3.8874 / 3°53'14"W

OS Eastings: 271622

OS Northings: 277309

OS Grid: SN716773

Mapcode National: GBR 90.RCHP

Mapcode Global: VH4FN.KGQT

Entry Name: Milestone on A4120

Listing Date: 16 March 2005

Last Amended: 16 March 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84259

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the S side of the A4120 some 2.6km W of the bridge over the Afon Mynach.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Pontarfynach

Community: Pontarfynach

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Devils Bridge

History

Milestone on former turnpike road to Aberystwyth from Devil's Bridge. The old road to Aberystwyth ran through Devil's Bridge from Cwmystwyth and Rhayader. In 1770 there were two turnpike roads designated from Devil's Bridge, one NE towards Llangurig, the other through Cwmystwyth. In 1812 a new road was made N of the Rheidol from Aberystwyth through Ponterwyd to join the existing Llangurig road about 2 km W of Ponterwyd. This milestone appears to relate to the 1770 Aberystwyth- Devil's Bridge - Llangurig route (A4120/ B4343/ A44) but looks early C19.

Exterior

Milestone, whitewashed stone, curved topped with inscription 'Aberystwyth 10 miles', the town name following the curve, in Roman capitals.

Reasons for Listing

Included for transport historical interest as marking early turnpike route.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Capel Salem, including attached house, forecourt wall and outbuilding
    About 2km W of Devil's Bridge (Pontarfynach); below N side of minor road parallel to A 4120.
  • II Hafod-y-coed
    On the N side of the A4120 some 1.7km W of the bridge over the Afon Mynach.
  • II Bwlch-y-gwynt
    About 1.8km W of Devil's Bridge above S side of minor road.
  • II Troedrhiwsebon
    Situated about 1.5 km SE of Cwm Rheidol Power Station on N side of lane, beyond Caegynon mine.
  • II Gelli Fach
    Situated on N side of lane along Cwm Rheidol about 1 km SE of Power Station, between Glwyscoed and Ty Melin .
  • II Ty Capel
    At the E end of the hamlet of Capel Trisant approximately 0.5km NW of Llyn Frongoch.
  • II Capel Trisant
    At the E end of the hamlet of Capel Trisant approximately 0.5km NW of Llyn Frongoch.
  • II Telephone Call-box to SE of Capel Trisant
    At the E end of the hamlet of Capel Trisant approximately 0.5km NW of Llyn Frongoch. Set on grass verge just S of the chapel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.