History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milepost

A Grade II Listed Building in Tal-y-bont, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7722 / 52°46'20"N

Longitude: -4.0917 / 4°5'29"W

OS Eastings: 258991

OS Northings: 321455

OS Grid: SH589214

Mapcode National: GBR 5R.YGJL

Mapcode Global: WH56D.3LV3

Entry Name: Milepost

Listing Date: 13 April 2005

Last Amended: 13 April 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84355

Location: Set alongside the W side of the A496 leading S out of the village of Tal-y-bont; c. 0.5km S of the centre of the village.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy

Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy

Locality: Tal-y-bont

Built-Up Area: Tal-y-bont

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Llanddwywe

History

Probably mid C19 milepost. Merioneth was the last of the Welsh counties to have turnpike roads and it was at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775 that it was resolved to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes, in partnership with Caernarfonshire. By the end of the C18 most of the existing roads had been brought under the Trust under the Merioneth Turnpike Act of 1777. It is thought that this stretch of road was first constructed and maintained by the landlords of the estates through which it passed but in 1833 the Barmouth to Harlech Turnpike Trust was formed to develop the road from Barmouth to Tal-y-bont and improve the existing route from Tal-y-bont to Harlech. This post is one of a series relating to this second phase of demarcating this route.

Exterior

Cast iron milepost with a triangular profile, wider at the top with a raking head and facing panels which bear the names and distances: HARLECH / 6 on the left hand face and BARMOUTH / 4 on the right.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C19 milepost, one of a series along the road between Harlech and Barmouth.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty-Ucha-Bach and Ty-Ucha-Mawr
    Slightly set back from the E side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) directly SE of Tal-y-bont bridge.
  • II Tal-y-bont bridge
    Located towards the southern end of the village of Tal-y-bont and spanning the Afon Ysgethin.
  • II Milestone at Tal-y-bont Bridge
    Set alongside the E side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the pavement to the E side of Pont Tal-y-bont.
  • II Mill House
    Set back from the SW side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the centre of the village of Tal-y-bont and along the NE bank of the Afon Ysgethin. The mill house lies directly SSE of the adjacent millhouse.
  • II Tal-y-bont Mill
    Set back from the SW side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the centre of the village of Tal-y-bont and along the NE bank of the Afon Ysgethin. The mill lies directly NNW of the adjacent millhouse.
  • II* Church of St. Dwywe
    Within a churchyard to the W side of the A496 in the small hamlet of Llanddwywe.
  • II Lofted stables and cartshed range at Llanddwywe Farm
    Set back slightly from the N side of Ffordd Benar, leading W off the A496 at Llanddwywe. The farm is directly to WNW of the Church of St. Dwywe and the stables are to S of the farmhouse.
  • II Entrance gates, piers and walling at Cors y Gedol Hall
    Set back slightly from the ENE side of the A496 between Dyffryn Ardudwy and Tal-y-bont, in the small hamlet of Llanddwywe. Flanking the driveway (Ffordd Gors) leading to Cors y Gedol Hall, adjacent t

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.