History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone at Tal-y-bont Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Tal-y-bont, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7752 / 52°46'30"N

Longitude: -4.0923 / 4°5'32"W

OS Eastings: 258959

OS Northings: 321784

OS Grid: SH589217

Mapcode National: GBR 5R.Y8D7

Mapcode Global: WH56D.3HKV

Entry Name: Milestone at Tal-y-bont Bridge

Listing Date: 13 April 2005

Last Amended: 13 April 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84358

Building Class: Transport

Location: Set alongside the E side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the pavement to the E side of Pont Tal-y-bont.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy

Community: Dyffryn Ardudwy

Locality: Tal-y-bont

Built-Up Area: Tal-y-bont

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Dyffryn

History

Mid C18 milestone, one of 7 along the road between Barmouth and Harlech and probably contemporary with a similar stone to the N of Dyffryn Ardudwy which bears the date 1765. This series of stones predate the resolution to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775, and it is thought that this stretch of road was constructed and maintained by the landlords of the estates through which it passed.

Exterior

Broad, irregularly shaped milestone, shaped as if a pair of conjoined milestone with rounded heads to each 'stone'. Bears the inscription: HARLECH / VI / M at the top of the left hand side, BERMO / IV / M at the right hand side and DOLGELLEY / XIII / M across the base.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good mid C18 milestone, forms a group with Tal-y-bont bridge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tal-y-bont bridge
    Located towards the southern end of the village of Tal-y-bont and spanning the Afon Ysgethin.
  • II Ty-Ucha-Bach and Ty-Ucha-Mawr
    Slightly set back from the E side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) directly SE of Tal-y-bont bridge.
  • II Mill House
    Set back from the SW side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the centre of the village of Tal-y-bont and along the NE bank of the Afon Ysgethin. The mill house lies directly SSE of the adjacent millhouse.
  • II Tal-y-bont Mill
    Set back from the SW side of Ffordd Ysgethin (A496) in the centre of the village of Tal-y-bont and along the NE bank of the Afon Ysgethin. The mill lies directly NNW of the adjacent millhouse.
  • II Milepost
    Set alongside the W side of the A496 leading S out of the village of Tal-y-bont; c. 0.5km S of the centre of the village.
  • II* Church of St. Dwywe
    Within a churchyard to the W side of the A496 in the small hamlet of Llanddwywe.
  • II Entrance gates, piers and walling at Cors y Gedol Hall
    Set back slightly from the ENE side of the A496 between Dyffryn Ardudwy and Tal-y-bont, in the small hamlet of Llanddwywe. Flanking the driveway (Ffordd Gors) leading to Cors y Gedol Hall, adjacent t
  • II Lofted stables and cartshed range at Llanddwywe Farm
    Set back slightly from the N side of Ffordd Benar, leading W off the A496 at Llanddwywe. The farm is directly to WNW of the Church of St. Dwywe and the stables are to S of the farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.