This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7263 / 51°43'34"N
Longitude: -4.8225 / 4°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 205160
OS Northings: 206838
OS Grid: SN051068
Mapcode National: GBR GB.Q7XD
Mapcode Global: VH2PB.CVCZ
Entry Name: 1 & 2 Back Cottages
Listing Date: 6 July 2005
Last Amended: 6 July 2005
Source ID: 84386
Location: Above the lane that leads from Cresswell Quay to Cresselly, on the edge of the settlement.
Locality: Cresswell Quay
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Both houses are shown on the Jeffreyston Tithe Map of 1846, marked as belonging to the Cresselly Estate. No 1 was a farm cottage tied to the farmstead of Henry Phelps (now Cresselly House). Census returns reveal that its occupant between 1841 and 1871 was John Llewellyn, agricultural labourer, and family, and from 1881-1901, George Lewis, also an agricultural labourer, and family. Census returns show the Philips family as tenants of No 2 from 1841-1901. The family were cobblers, and in later years, the detached cottage in front of the dwelling was used as a cobblers shop. Later tenants were Mr and Mrs John Scourfield. A further cottage below No 2 was demolished c1870.
Pair of cottages. No 1 (to the left) is single storeyed, long 2-unit plan. Lime rendered and with slate roof with gable end stacks. Detail modernised (windows have concrete sills). No 2 also has 2-unit plan, but is a low 2 storeys. Roughcast with slate roof and end wall stacks. Near-central doorway with part-glazed door, flanked by 4-pane sash windows. 3 similar but smaller windows immediately beneath eaves above.
No 2 retains traditional layout. No 1 not seen.
Listed as a pair of small vernacular cottages which together form a group with The Old Cobblers Shop. No 2 retains good traditional character; No 1 is an integral part of the group, and a surviving example of a single storey cottage, notwithstanding loss of detail.
Other nearby listed buildings