This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6238 / 52°37'25"N
Longitude: -4.1175 / 4°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 256761
OS Northings: 304993
OS Grid: SH567049
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.7W93
Mapcode Global: WH574.Q9GX
Entry Name: Llanfendigaid
Listing Date: 7 June 2005
Last Amended: 7 June 2005
Source ID: 84474
Location: In its own grounds on the W side of a minor road approximately 1.2km SW of Rhoslefain hamlet.
Community: Llangelynin (Llangelynnin)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
As a township, Llanfendigaid is a settlement of some antiquity, though its early history remains elusive. There is thought to have been a medieval chapel somewhere in the vicinity of the house - it is apparently shown in a late C18 estate map, and its site is commemorated in a local field name (Cae Capel), but no standing traces remain. The place name occurs in the late C13 lay subsidy roll, and in late C16 rentals of crown lands, and can be linked to a specific family from about the same time. Hugh ap John ap Hugh was the first recorded owner of Llanfendigaid, and his daughter married John Anwyl of Parc in c1622. Their daughter in turn married John Nanney of Maesypandy (a junior branch of the Nanneys of Nannau) in c1660, thus linking the property to one of the pre-eminent Merioneth families. An early house on the site may therefore be assumed, but any evidence for its form is archaeological rather than architectural. The character of the present house owes most to a later John Nanney (the fourth), who rebuilt or remodelled it in 1745-6: the main or front range of the present building is largely of this date, and a contemporary rear wing (to accommodate a kitchen) may be assumed. However, the present rear wing essentially belongs to c1920, and is the work of E.W. Kirkby, a younger son of the family who acquired the house on the break-up of the estate. The estate retained its connection with the Nanney family, who were linked to the Wynns of Maesyneuadd by marriage in the early C18. Thereafter, Llanfendigaid was subsidiary to Maesyneuadd, and tenanted out for much of the later C18 and C19.
Late C18 estate maps represent the main range of the house much as it is today; they show an additional range at right-angles to the rear, but also a separate building in front of the house; this is shown as a single storeyed building with end chimneys - was this the earlier house, or a dower house? No trace of it remains above ground.
The house comprises mid C18 main range (dated on a slate over the doorway, 1745 with initials I.N.) and an early C20 rear wing. Local slate/shale rubble in characteristic long blocks, roughly coursed and dressed; slate roofs. Main range is 2 storeyed with attic, a fine seven-window range with central entrance. Coped gables and end chimneys, that to right projecting. Central doorway in flat-roofed porch (a c1920 modification of a gabled porch added in 1867); 4-panelled door with overlight. Windows are mainly 12-pane hornless sashes with dressed slate/shale lintels and sills. The two ground-floor right hand windows, however, are floor-length 18-pane sashes, altered to this form c1920. 3 dormers in the roof, all with small-paned windows and glazed apexes (the outer two window glazing renewed to form opening lights). At right-hand return, the projecting stack has string course at level of eaves, and there is a matching length in the gable wall to the right of the stack.
Wide rear wing is largely early C20, though probably incorporating elements of a C18 wing. (This may be presumed by the absence of any obvious service accomodation within the C18 main block, and also by the character of the stonework in the east-facing elevation, which appears earlier than that to the west. The axial chimney is also closer in character to those of the main range than to the clearly early C20 stack on the west wall). Rough rubble, with coarsely dressed quoins and dressings to most windows; west elevation has central gabled porch beneath tall axial stack rising from the eaves; irregular fenestration, comprising a series of 4- and 2-pane sash windows. East-facing elevation has 2 gabled dormers with 4-pane sashes aligned with similar first floor windows, then 3x12-pane sash windows without quoins grouped to ground floor left (again perhaps indicative of an earlier core), and a single 4-pane sash to the right. Positioning of axial ridge stack may perhaps mark original end wall of an earlier rear wing, since it corresponds to a change in the character of the walling on the south elevation. Broad end gable of the wing has 2x4-pane sashes to ground and attic floors, and 3 at first floor.
Main range has central entrance and stair hall, flanked by parlour or study (to east) and drawing room (to the west); kitchen etc. in outer bay of rear wing; dining room adjoining main range to SE. This has simple Georgian-style wall panelling with fluted pilasters either side of the shallow-arched fireplace (probably early C20 work). In the main range, the entrance hall has polychrome tiled floor (probably early C20), fielded panelled wainscotting (C18), and stairs offset to the left; good mid C18 staircase, with turned balusters, swept rail and scroll-moulded tread-ends. Drawing room to the east has painted wainscotting in 3 tiers of plain panels with reed-moulding to fireplace (the coat of arms above it was painted in the 1920s and the panelling may also be of this date). Deep moulded plaster cornice to ceiling. (The scale of the fire-place does not relate to the large size of the external stack: was this the main hall or kitchen of the C18 house, or is the massive chimney a relic of an earlier layout?) Larger sitting room to west has complete mid C18 wainscotting, 2 panels high - fielded panels and dado rail; deep plaster cornice. Stop-chamfered cross-beam may survive from the pre 1745 house. At first floor, central landing has wall panelling with vestigial mouldings; large bedroom (to west) has C18 panelling including fire-place surround and cornice. Perhaps the stop-chamfered (plastered) cross beam again relates to a pre 1745 house: the interrupted chamfer suggests that this room was once subdivided along its length. Similar panelling in east bedroom, which has reeded pilasters flanking the fireplace. In the attic storey, the date 1746 with initials I.N. in raised letters over a fireplace, and 4 plastered cambered collar trusses.
Listed grade II* as a fine, well-preserved mid C18 gentry house (with possible earlier origins and sympathetic later additions), retaining good contemporary character, including some interior fittings. The house is of historical interest for its long association with two of the principal families of Merioneth.
Other nearby listed buildings