This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7632 / 52°45'47"N
Longitude: -3.2675 / 3°16'3"W
OS Eastings: 314567
OS Northings: 319149
OS Grid: SJ145191
Mapcode National: GBR 6T.YYKZ
Mapcode Global: WH791.ST71
Entry Name: Former County Intermediate School
Listing Date: 6 September 2005
Last Amended: 6 September 2005
Source ID: 84992
Building Class: Education
Location: On the NE side of the A490, just to the SE of the town centre.
Built-Up Area: Llanfyllin
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Opened as the Llanfyllin County Intermediate School in May 1900. The school was established under the provisions of the Welsh Intermediate Education Act of 1889. Under the terms of this Act, schemes for intermediate education were to be drawn up by Joint Education Committees, with appointees from the County Councils and the government. These schools were important in providing pupils in rural areas with a chance to continue their education beyond primary age. The Montgomeryshire scheme received Royal Assent in 1893, but funds from the Charity Commission were needed for a school in Llanfyllin to be viable. Caught up in party politics, the opportunity for the establishment of a school was almost lost, but public support helped to carry it through, and the school opened in temporary premises in 1897.
A tightly symmetrical composition in a simple interpretation of the Queen Anne style which was widely adopted as an appropriate secular style for schools, following its introduction in London Board schools in the 1870s. Brick with moulded plinth and string course, some stone dressings and complex Welsh slate roofs on generous projecting eaves, with red tiled ridges and central cupola. The layout clearly reflects its original use, with separate entrances for boys and girls to either side, and the main hall advanced from a series of class-rooms at the rear, served by a spinal corridor.
Main elevation comprises paired gables with hipped-roofed flanking blocks (the hall range), with entrances set back in the longer rear (class-room) range. Paired advanced gables at centre articulated by buttresses to each side and centrally, and with curved and stepped copings, swept across central valley. Continuous stone band above the windows bears the legend in raised letters, 'Llanfyllin County Intermediate School'. Triple windows in each gable are linked by their banded stone surrounds and are composites with 2 transoms: 12-panes in upper section over 9, then 4, the lower section hinged from below. Cupola surmounts roof between the gables: swept slate base to arcaded timber lantern with ogee ribbed leaded cap with spike finial. The flanking blocks are also each 3-window ranges, the windows again integrated by banded stonework. They are sashes with 6 small panes in lower upper light, 4 below. Small 6-pane dormer window in roof with slate-hung cheeks. In each return elevation, an entrance towards the angle with the rear range: panelled doors with moulded rail below the 6-pane glazed upper panel beneath straight lintels. Dormers above, matching those to front elevation. The rear range is advanced to either side, and contains the main entrances: these each have deeply moulded panelled doors with small-pane glazing to upper panels and moulded rail; arched head with banded stone voussoirs. The layout then departs from the strictly symmetrical in so far as there is an additional bay to the left: this has swept hipped roof brought forward as a covered shelter. Right hand return has a tier of windows with stone sills and lintels comprising 2x6-over-4-pane sashes flanking a taller composite window like those to front gables.
Rear elevation is also symmetrically arranged with 3 broad gables to the centre, flanked by slightly set-back outer bays. Each of these has triple windows with brick sills (6-over-4-pane sashes). Fenestration of central gables has been somewhat modified, with two surviving 9-over-4-pane sashes with brick arched heads in left-hand gable, and the upper section of its third, now serving as the over-light to an inserted doorway. Central gable has large inserted window and a single surviving original 9-over-4-pane sash. Right hand window retains original arrangement intact: 2x9-over-4-pane sash windows flanking a taller pair of composite windows with 2 transoms: 12 panes above, 9 to centre then 4, this lower section hinged from below. Large advanced stack between centre and right-hand gables. Lower range to right in two sections with roof stepping down beyond axial stack and 5x6-over-4-pane sash windows.
Simple internal layout comprising full-length hall to front flanked by small lobbies to either side; spinal corridor to rear of hall, served by the main entrances at either side, and giving access to a series of former class-rooms (the central rooms now one) in the rear range. Few original fittings remain, but there are several decorated cast-iron radiators with art-nouveau motifs, supplied by J Deam and Co., Llanfyllin.
Listed as a largely unaltered example of an important Welsh school type, with good architectural character, employing the picturesque 'Queen Anne' style characteristic of schools at the turn of the century.
Other nearby listed buildings