History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate at Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Connah's Quay, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2215 / 53°13'17"N

Longitude: -3.0638 / 3°3'49"W

OS Eastings: 329071

OS Northings: 369907

OS Grid: SJ290699

Mapcode National: GBR 73.10UR

Mapcode Global: WH770.X976

Entry Name: Lychgate at Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 26 August 2005

Last Amended: 26 August 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85260

Location: Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay, and fronting a lay-by. The lychgate is flanked by churchyard boundary walls which were rebuilt when the road was widened in the

County: Flintshire

Town: Deeside

Community: Connah's Quay (Cei Connah)

Community: Connah's Quay

Built-Up Area: Connah's Quay

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hawarden

History

Built in 1917 as a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Williams, vicar of Connah's Quay .

Exterior

Side walls and front piers of snecked yellow sandstone with chamfered stone copings, supporting a timber-framed superstructure, the timbers pegged. Swept gabled slate-covered roof surmounted by a crucifix. Each side wall supports a tier of open box panels immediately under the eaves. The front gable has a cambered decorated tie-beam bearing rosettes, supported by curved braces; vertical struts and collar above, the central panel bearing a decorative quatrefoil. The rear gable has a plain cambered tie-beam with vertical struts above.

Interior

Four narrow collar trusses to roof structure. On the interior side of the E wall is an inscription: 'In memory of Rev. Thomas Williams, Vicar, 1909-1917'.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-detailed early-C20 memorial lychgate in Arts & Crafts tradition, and for group value with the Church of St Mark.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Mark
    Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay.
  • II Former Stable Block & attached boundary walls
    Located to the rear of the vicarage, the ranges and boundary walls forming a rear courtyard.
  • II The Vicarage
    Located to the rear of the Church of St Mark and reached by a driveway to the E of the churchyard.
  • II Former Barn, Old Quay House Inn
    Located to the rear of and at right angles to the Old Quay House Inn. A 2nd parallel outbuilding to the W, now converted to accommodation, formed the 3rd side to a small yard.
  • II Old Quay House Inn
    Located off the NW side of Dock Road on a sharp bend, facing the Dock Basin.
  • II Dock Basin
    Dock Road leads from the W end of the High Street towards the quayside, the dock basin off its NW side on a sharp bend.
  • II The Ship Public House
    Fronting the S side of the High Street.
  • II Kelsterton Hall
    Set back slightly from the road at the junction of Kelsterton Road and Kelsterton Lane.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.