History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Quay House Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Connah's Quay, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2214 / 53°13'16"N

Longitude: -3.0597 / 3°3'35"W

OS Eastings: 329341

OS Northings: 369894

OS Grid: SJ293698

Mapcode National: GBR 73.117Z

Mapcode Global: WH770.Z948

Entry Name: Old Quay House Inn

Listing Date: 26 August 2005

Last Amended: 26 August 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85262

Location: Located off the NW side of Dock Road on a sharp bend, facing the Dock Basin.

County: Flintshire

Town: Deeside

Community: Connah's Quay (Cei Connah)

Community: Connah's Quay

Built-Up Area: Connah's Quay

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in


Old Quay House, dated 1777, was originally a farm. It had been converted to an Inn by the late C19 and was closely associated with the docks. The Inn was rebuilt in the early C20, the old datestone reset into the front wall. Old photos show the building in its original form.


Two-storey 4-window range, rendered and white-washed over brick under a slate roof with tile cresting; 4 tall brick ridge stacks with distinctive corbelled caps, 2 towards each end. Entrance offset to R with gabled slate-covered porch on narrow timber posts, with cambered tie beam. The windows are in raised surrounds with brick sills, mainly 2-light large-pane wooden casements with small upper opening lights. Three windows to L of entrance, that to far L a single-light; pair of single lights to far R. Upper storey is symmetrical with pairs of windows offset to L and R, between which is a long panel reading 'Old Quay House'. Between the 2 L-hand windows is a reset datestone reading 'EMW/1777'. E gable end has single-storey lean-to with central 2-light window, and 2 small lights to front; W gable end not seen. Rear, partly visible, is of red brick with casements as elsewhere.


Interior not seen at time of survey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a little-altered early-C20 Inn, built in a vernacular style, the datestone reflecting its earlier origins. Group value with the former barn to its rear and the dock basin which it overlooks.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Barn, Old Quay House Inn
    Located to the rear of and at right angles to the Old Quay House Inn. A 2nd parallel outbuilding to the W, now converted to accommodation, formed the 3rd side to a small yard.
  • II Dock Basin
    Dock Road leads from the W end of the High Street towards the quayside, the dock basin off its NW side on a sharp bend.
  • II Church of St Mark
    Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay.
  • II Lychgate at Church of St Mark
    Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay, and fronting a lay-by. The lychgate is flanked by churchyard boundary walls which were rebuilt when the road was widened in the
  • II The Vicarage
    Located to the rear of the Church of St Mark and reached by a driveway to the E of the churchyard.
  • II Former Stable Block & attached boundary walls
    Located to the rear of the vicarage, the ranges and boundary walls forming a rear courtyard.
  • II The Ship Public House
    Fronting the S side of the High Street.
  • II War Memorial
    Set back from the road in a paved area, adjacent to the Wepre Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.