History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Barn, Old Quay House Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Connah's Quay, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2212 / 53°13'16"N

Longitude: -3.0598 / 3°3'35"W

OS Eastings: 329337

OS Northings: 369879

OS Grid: SJ293698

Mapcode National: GBR 73.11UF

Mapcode Global: WH770.Z94C

Entry Name: Former Barn, Old Quay House Inn

Listing Date: 26 August 2005

Last Amended: 26 August 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85257

Location: Located to the rear of and at right angles to the Old Quay House Inn. A 2nd parallel outbuilding to the W, now converted to accommodation, formed the 3rd side to a small yard.

County: Flintshire

Town: Deeside

Community: Connah's Quay (Cei Connah)

Community: Connah's Quay

Built-Up Area: Connah's Quay

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hawarden

History

Old Quay House, dated 1777, was originally a farm. It had been converted to an Inn by the late C19 and was closely associated with the docks. The Inn was rebuilt in the early C20, the old datestone reset into the front wall. This barn is probably contemporary with the original farmhouse (1777) and is shown on the Tithe map of 1839. It is now partly converted to accommodation.

Exterior

Symmetrical 3-bay lofted range constructed of coursed blocks of yellow sandstone under an old slate roof. Dressed sandstone quoins with moulded kneelers and raised stone copings. Wide central entrance with elliptical-arched head, of dressed sandstone. This is flanked by circular pitching eyes to loft, each set within a square ashlar panel. Ventilation slits above entrance and to each side. N gable end has boarded door to L under a wedge lintel; no openings to S gable end. Rear has opposing elliptical-arched opening to through-passage, 2 openings to R with wedge lintels, detail not seen. Two added timber dormers to loft, probably late C20; skylight.

Interior

Interior not seen at time of survey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good Georgian farm building retaining much of its architectural character and detail, and for group value with Old Quay House Inn and the dock basin which it overlooks.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Quay House Inn
    Located off the NW side of Dock Road on a sharp bend, facing the Dock Basin.
  • II Dock Basin
    Dock Road leads from the W end of the High Street towards the quayside, the dock basin off its NW side on a sharp bend.
  • II Church of St Mark
    Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay.
  • II Lychgate at Church of St Mark
    Located on the S side of the main road, on the W side of Connah's Quay, and fronting a lay-by. The lychgate is flanked by churchyard boundary walls which were rebuilt when the road was widened in the
  • II The Vicarage
    Located to the rear of the Church of St Mark and reached by a driveway to the E of the churchyard.
  • II Former Stable Block & attached boundary walls
    Located to the rear of the vicarage, the ranges and boundary walls forming a rear courtyard.
  • II The Ship Public House
    Fronting the S side of the High Street.
  • II War Memorial
    Set back from the road in a paved area, adjacent to the Wepre Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.