This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9701 / 52°58'12"N
Longitude: -2.7531 / 2°45'11"W
OS Eastings: 349517
OS Northings: 341678
OS Grid: SJ495416
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.JXDG
Mapcode Global: WH89G.PL5Y
Entry Name: Miles Cottage
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85474
Location: On the S side of a minor road between Whitewell and Iscoyd Park, approximately 300m N of Whitewell church.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres(359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'.
The present Miles Cottage was built in 1883 on the site of a 'croft' purchased from Sir John Hanmer in 1833. It is therefore one of several cases where a late C19 smallholding can be shown to perpetuate a earlier tradition.
A 1½-storey cottage of brick with steep tile roof on overhanging eaves and dentil verge, and central brick stack. Openings have mainly segmental heads and wood-framed windows. The S gable end entrance has a boarded door to the R, under a freestone triangular-headed lintel inscribed 'PWG 1883'. To its L and above are 2-light casement windows. The 2 window R side wall has 3-light casements and in the L side wall are a single and a larger 2-light casement. A rear lean-to has a replacement split door in the R end wall, and 2-light windows. The rear gable end also has a 2-light attic window, with small inserted window to its L.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved C19 cottage characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving estate buildings, which together provide a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings