History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkley Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronington, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9701 / 52°58'12"N

Longitude: -2.756 / 2°45'21"W

OS Eastings: 349328

OS Northings: 341680

OS Grid: SJ493416

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.JWLX

Mapcode Global: WH89G.MLVY

Entry Name: Parkley Lodge

Listing Date: 20 October 2005

Last Amended: 20 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85479

Location: At the entrance to Parkley Farm on the S side of a minor road between Whitewell and Iscoyd Park, approximately 350 NW of Whitewell church.

County: Wrexham

Community: Bronington

Community: Bronington

Locality: Whitewell

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

History

Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'.

Parkley Lodge is dated 1867.

Exterior

A 1½-storey cottage of brick with steep tile roof on overhanging eaves, and central brick stack. The gable-end front and side wall facing the road are of chequer-work red and white brick, and the cottage has a continuous dentil band between storeys. Openings have segmental heads. In the gable-end front the boarded door is offset to the R, with 2-light casement windows to the L and above. Beneath the apex is a tablet inscribed 'PWG 1867'. The 2-window R side wall facing the road has 3-light windows, to the R of which a rear lean-to has a replacement window. The lean-to has a 2-light mid C20 steel-framed window in place of an original doorway. The L side wall of the cottage has an inserted half-glazed door to the L and 2 narrow replacement windows.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved C19 cottage characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving estate buildings, which together provide a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.