This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9668 / 52°58'0"N
Longitude: -2.7487 / 2°44'55"W
OS Eastings: 349814
OS Northings: 341311
OS Grid: SJ498413
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.K4TY
Mapcode Global: WH89G.RP9F
Entry Name: Whitewell Lodge, including arcaded screen to garden and wall to service yard
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85508
Location: In its own grounds reached by private drive N of Whitewell Road, approximately 350m SE of Whitewell church.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Originally known as Oak Bank, and shown on the 1838 Tithe map, when it was owned by Thomas Lee. It was subsequently extended to form a U-shaped block, and was extended again in 1882 (date on building) into a large villa, concealing the original N entrance front. In 1918 it was sold by its then owner, Andrew Wood, when its interior incorporated a double drawing room and first-floor billiard room.
A mildly Italianate villa of 2 storeys and attic and 2-storey and 3-storey service wings, the earlier parts of hand-moulded brick and the later (1882) section of machine-moulded brick with sill bands, slate roof and brick stacks. In the asymmetrical W entrance front the earliest part of the house is the central gabled range, with 3-storey SW service wing to the R and the latest, Italianate, section to the L (N). The later section is lower than the original house, and has 2-pane sash windows and original rainwater goods incorporating the date 1882.
The entrance is at the L end, in the 1882 range, in a lean-to porch hipped on the L side, and with 2-bay arcade with round arches and relief-moulded brick to the imposts, and 1-bay return. It has a panel door under a semi-circular panel (probably replacing an overlight) and 2-pane sash window to its R, both under round heads. Above it is a round-headed margin-lit 2-pane sash window and hood mould, and a small-pane window to its L. Brought forward further R is a 3-storey tower, which has rusticated brick quoins in the lower storey. Windows are round-headed 2-pane sashes under hood moulds in the lower and middle storeys. The upper stage has similar paired windows with sill band, above which are dentil eaves to a pyramidal roof. Next R is the broad 2-window gable end of the original house. This has a bay window added in 1882, incorporating a tripartite 2-pane sash window, and parapet with relief-moulded tiles. To its R is an original 16-pane hornless sash window. Above are original 16-pane hornless sash windows under flat arches, similar but smaller attic windows and a pivoting central attic window. A coped brick courtyard wall abuts the R end of the original house, which incorporates and opening with elliptical arch, beyond which is the SW service wing.
The 3-window N garden front is asymmetrical, with gabled bay to the L. This has a tripartite sash window in the lower storey, of which the central section is segmental-headed with keystone, and a segmental-headed upper storey window with keystone, flanked by relief panels. Both windows have hood moulds. Set back to the R, in the lower storey are paired 2-pane sash windows under round heads, and segmental-headed sash window further R, all with hood moulds. The upper storey has 2-pane sash windows under flat arches.
The E (rear) garden front has a gabled bay on the R side, with external stack with tile panel reading 'SA 1882'. To the L of the stack is a segmental-headed window in the lower storey and square-headed upper-storey window, both with hood moulds. Next L is the gable end of the original house, which has 2 canted bay windows with 16-pane hornless sashes, and similar sashes in the upper storey. Two small-pane iron-frame attic windows incorporate opening lights.
Set forward further L is the SE service wing, which has a gable end with replacement window in the lower storey and 12-pane horned sash window above. The E wall has a panel door at the R end, then a bow window, 12-pane sash window, narrower 2-pane sash window and 4-pane horned sash window at the L end. The upper storey has three 12-pane horned sashes. A coped garden wall abuts the L end. The gable end of the SE wing has 2 upper-storey cross windows with coloured glazing, above an attached courtyard wall.
The SE and SW wings form a courtyard at the S end. A formerly detached range S of the SW wing is now attached by an external stair above a pitched roof and boarded doors facing the yard to the W. It S side, facing the former kitchen garden, has a half-glazed door to the L reached up steps, 2-light segmental-headed window, similar window with metal gauze to a larder, and replacement segmental-headed window R of centre. Its upper storey has two 12-pane horned sash windows. In its W gable end segmental-headed ribbed double doors, and facing the house its upper storey has 4 small-pane horned sash windows under stone lintels, and a panelled door R of centre reached from the external stair.
The SW wing has a 3-window W wall with 16-pane sash windows, and replacement glazed door L of centre. In the middle storey is an additional narrow 8-pane sash window at the L end and in the upper storey an inserted window L of centre.
At the L end of the entrance front is an attached 4-bay arcade across the garden, with round arches, hood moulds, relief-moulded imposts, stone coping with ball finials and wrought-iron gate. The higher terminal pier has an urn finial. A return wall sweeps down and then steps out to form a revetment defining the N edge of the garden.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a small early C19 gentry house, with its transformation into an Italianate villa in the later C19 forming a building of distinctive character.
Other nearby listed buildings