History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitewell parish hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronington, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9651 / 52°57'54"N

Longitude: -2.7503 / 2°45'1"W

OS Eastings: 349702

OS Northings: 341119

OS Grid: SJ497411

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.KBFD

Mapcode Global: WH89G.QQJS

Entry Name: Whitewell parish hall

Listing Date: 20 October 2005

Last Amended: 20 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85509

Location: Fronting the road approximately 350m SSE of Whitewell church.

County: Wrexham

Community: Bronington

Community: Bronington

Locality: Whitewell

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

History

Built in 1887 and enlarged in 1898 (dates on building), although the present structure appears to be a unified build, and is probably therefore of the latter date. It was built as a pair with the Old Rectory, in a style strongly reminiscent of John Douglas, architect of Chester, although neither building has previously been attributed to Douglas.

Exterior

A single-storey parish hall comprising an entrance vestibule and a lower main hall offset behind, of hand-moulded brick with smoother and redder machine-moulded brick for dressings, quoins and moulded sill band, and tile roof. Windows have moulded terracotta mullions. The gable-end entrance faces the road. On the R side is a shouldered stone lintel with date inscription, to stone steps leading up to the double panel doors. To its L is a 3-light window and a 2-light window in the gable. The L side wall has a 2-light window, and then, set back, the buttressed 3-bay main hall with 3-light windows with ogee-headed lights. The R side wall of the vestibule has two 2-light windows, and the main hall a 3-light window with ogee-headed lights, and then a lower gabled projection with outshuts, which in its gable end has a 2-light window and segmental-headed panel door to a side entrance. The rear of the main hall has a 3-light transomed window with ogee-headed lights.

On the R side of the entrance is a brick wall with stone coping, incorporating a Victorian letterbox, to gate piers of the former Rectory.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a prominent and well-detailed late C19 public building forming a pair with the Old Rectory.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.