History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Wing, Llwyn-du Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergavenny (Y Fenni), Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8361 / 51°50'9"N

Longitude: -3.0351 / 3°2'6"W

OS Eastings: 328776

OS Northings: 215782

OS Grid: SO287157

Mapcode National: GBR F4.VKST

Mapcode Global: VH796.B3TS

Entry Name: West Wing, Llwyn-du Court

Listing Date: 10 November 2005

Last Amended: 10 November 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 86795

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In the Brecon Beacons National Park above the town on the north.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Abergavenny

Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)

Community: Abergavenny

Locality: Llwyn-du

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Abergavenny

History

An early C19 villa, dating perhaps from c1830, and in the style of Robert Lugar of London. It is said to have been built for Richard Baker Gabb. The house was greatly extended in the Edwardian period and further added to in 1936. Since that date there seems to have been little external alteration but major changes to the house apparently took place in 1956. It is shown on the 1844 Tithe Map. It has now been divided into two houses of which this is the northern and western half.

Exterior

Rear elevation not inspected.

Interior

Interior not available at resurvey.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as a well preserved early and later C19 house of definite character, which was built by a noted local family.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llwyn-du Court, including steps, terrace and balustrade at entrance
    In the Brecon Beacons National Park above the town on the north.
  • II Sunny Vale Farmhouse
    Set into the steep bank below the road and facing south over the town in the valley below. In the Brecon Beacons National Park.
  • II The Pentre
    Set in its own parkland on the hillside above the A40 about 1.5km from the town centre.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Chapel
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.