History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

,14,St Peter's Square,,Ruthin,,

A Grade II Listed Building in Ruthin, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1149 / 53°6'53"N

Longitude: -3.3105 / 3°18'37"W

OS Eastings: 312382

OS Northings: 358327

OS Grid: SJ123583

Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7SCM

Mapcode Global: WH779.3YVX

Entry Name: ,14,St Peter's Square,,Ruthin,,

Listing Date: 4 July 1966

Last Amended: 12 July 2006

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87288

Location: 14 St Peter's Square

County: Denbighshire

Town: Ruthin

Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)

Community: Ruthin

Built-Up Area: Ruthin

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Ruthin

History

Probably late C18. The building was formerly the White Horse Inn, a wine and spirit merchant, which stopped trading in 1829. It was subsequently divided into 2 premises, the shop fronts probably mid-late C19.

Exterior

13 & 14 St Peter's Square

A pair of shops with houses over. Three-window 3-storey block, the central windows offset slightly to the R. Constructed of pale grey coursed stone under shallow slate roofs; brick stacks to L end and R of centre. The houses have wide hornless sash windows with stone heads, 16-pane to 1st floor and 4-over-8-pane to 2nd floor.

No. 14 is 1-window. Round-arched doorway to R, with recessed 6-panel door, the upper 2 panels lit, and a fanlight with radial glazing. Projecting shop front to its L, on a stone plinth; central inset splayed entrance with late C20 half-glazed door; plate-glass windows with arched heads partly obscured by modern fascia. The original fascia is blank, below a dentilled cornice. The N gable end is adjoined by No. 15. Three-storey rear wing of rubble stone. Its N side has a 4-pane sash to R and small 2-light window to L. Upper storeys have small 2-light casements, part quarry-glazed, 1 to 1st floor with a stone lintel, 2 on 2nd floor immediately under the eaves. Two-storey stone range adjoining to L, with 16-pane hornless sash to R and ventilator to L; upper storey has C20 2-light casement to L. Further L, range is rendered and converted to a pair of modern garages. The S side of rear wing is rendered with C20 plain-glazed 2- or 3-light wooden casements (as rear of No 13).

Interior

Interior has a pair of slender cast iron columns with decorative capitals, slightly L of entrance, and aligned at right-angles. They support a short wooden beam.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a building retaining definite late C18 character and detail, the later shop-fronts including some good late C19 detail. Group value with surrounding listed buildings in St Peter's Square.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.