This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6692 / 51°40'9"N
Longitude: -4.8672 / 4°52'1"W
OS Eastings: 201830
OS Northings: 200611
OS Grid: SN018006
Mapcode National: GBR G9.VVHZ
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.L99P
Entry Name: Lamphey House (also known as the Old Malthouse)
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 15 October 2007
Source ID: 87553
Location: At the S side of the Ridgeway, adjacent to Lower farm at the NE corner of Lamphey village.
Town: Lamphey Village
Community: Lamphey (Llandyfái)
Built-Up Area: Lamphey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Single-fronted house of c.1800, two storeys, two window range to front. The entrance is at the right. The house was not itself a malthouse.
Rubble masonry, recently re-rendered. Slate roof. Chimney of red bricks. Timber eaves cornice at front with small decorative brackets.
Window frames recessed. Hornless six-pane sashes. Entrance door of six panels, the bottom two panels being flush. Brass door furniture. Plain rendered reveals, since recent restoration and removal of (early C20?) door casing. Semi-elliptical cast iron and lead fanlight above door. Two stone steps to front door.
Low garden wall at front with wrought-iron railing and gate. Cast-iron finials of urn form at top of the ironwork standards.
Entrance hallway with decorative ceiling plasterwork. Staircase with cut string and return nosing over ornamental string-brackets. Two square balusters per tread. Swept mahogany handrail coiled at the foot. Arch and fanlight over the corridor to the rear. Door to main reception room at front: six panels, reeded architrave and small cornice. In front room: a good C19 cast-iron fireplace. Furniture recess in the rear wall. C19 fireplaces in upstairs rooms also.
Cellars at front and rear. The rear cellar has a segmental vault. In the front cellar is a fireplace constructed partly from kiln floor bricks, perhaps salvaged from the former maltings which give their name to the site.
Listed as a house of c.1800 retaining original or early features.
Other nearby listed buildings