This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6967 / 51°41'48"N
Longitude: -3.0302 / 3°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 328894
OS Northings: 200279
OS Grid: SO288002
Mapcode National: GBR J4.48J0
Mapcode Global: VH79S.FMD4
Plus Code: 9C3RMXW9+MW
Entry Name: Mount Cottage
Listing Date: 7 June 2011
Last Amended: 7 June 2011
Source ID: 87641
Location: To the west of the Pontypool Estate Yard accessed through the estate yard and on high ground overlooking the A472.
Community: Pontymoile (Llanfihangel Pont-y-moel)
Built-Up Area: Pontypool
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Small cottage probably C17, extended with a 2 storey wing to its left in the early C20. The main elevation was probably remodelled at this point with reorganised openings and plate glass sash windows. The extension is first shown on the 1920 OS map but is not present in the map for 1901 which shows Mount Cottage as a single building with a small extension added to the SW corner.
Cottage. Whitewashed rendered front presumably over stone rubble. Stone tile roof laid in diminishing courses. 2 bay, 1 ½ storey with right hand gable, projecting gabled stair and catslide roof extension to rear. Later 2 storey extension added to left, remains of left gable stack visible incorporated within the later adjoining roofslope. Later horned plate glass sashes to front in altered openings, casement dormers to first floor, various small windows and rooflights to rear. Front elevation of door to the left and 2 windows to right, further small window to right. Additional door to later extension in covered passage to left.
Former 2-bay plan extended on the ground floor with later extension to left. Former left hand bay now entrance hall but contains what is probably the remains of a large gable stack, now converted as a cupboard connected to the kitchen within the later wing, and on the sw side a stair (now blocked) rises to the first floor of the later wing. To the right of the entrance hall is a single room with large gable fireplace with recess to right and stair to left. Single floor joist visible within this room. The first floor is accessed by the single turn gable stair and is divided into two rooms; two bay main room with truss visible and further partition and truss with smaller room beyond. Possible former door through the gable within the smaller room to the first floor of the later wing.
Included despite later alterations and additions for its special architectural interest as a distinctive vernacular C17th building surviving recognisably intact and retaining important vernacular characteristics including a gable stair and stone tile roof.
Other nearby listed buildings