This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2589 / 53°15'31"N
Longitude: -3.9801 / 3°58'48"W
OS Eastings: 268008
OS Northings: 375370
OS Grid: SH680753
Mapcode National: GBR 0ZNR.3H
Mapcode Global: WH543.TCW0
Entry Name: Gwynfor
Listing Date: 1 October 2018
Source ID: 87779
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the E side of Shore Road at the western end of the Promenade at Llanfairfechan.
Built-Up Area: Llanfairfechan
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Constructed in 1926 for a Mr W Williams and designed in 1923 by Rowland John Hughes 1881-1969) architect of Llanfairfechan and employee of the Herbert Luck North practice from 1911-27, with interruption for service in WWI. Hughes joined the practice as a student architect and assisted Luck North with the design of the Church Institute and houses at Glan Mor Elias in Llanfairfechan. Gwynfor was restored c2018.
House, white painted roughcast, slate roofs with swept overhanging eaves, clay ridge tiles and brick gable stacks. Sash windows, plain lower sashes with small paned upper sashes. Projecting tile cills and hoods.
Two storey 3-bay plan fronting onto Shore Road. Gabled bay to right set forward with swept eaves carried down on the left forming entrance porch over the central door. Paired windows to first floor outer bays, gabled dormer to left. Central window under low catslide. Canted ground floor paired sash bay windows to outer bays, single window to each side. Part glazed door with overlight. Left hand gable with single window to upper floor, offset to left, two windows to ground floor, offset to right (original plans show a further bay window to the front room on the gable elevation). Right elevation with central stair window and two ground floor windows offset to right. Rear elevation with single storey service wing attached, wide low catslide over 4-window first floor range, two outer windows and two narrow central windows. Ground floor with paired narrow windows to right, central window and rear door. Hipped roof over ‘L’-plan rear service wing, door (inserted) and window in right hand end, 2 windows to rear.
Plan and fittings remain intact. Plan form of central entrance and hall with stair to right, original parlours to front,kitchen at rear left and service rooms to rear right. 4 bedrooms to first floor around central landing, bathroom at rear. Fittings survive including timber stair, doors and doorways, skirting, floor finishes etc.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well preserved house of the early C20 that retains its original character with Arts & Crafts influences of the style popularised by Luck North in North Wales in the early decades of the C20.
This structure has been afforded Interim Protection under the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. It is an offence to damage this structure and you may be prosecuted.
To find out more about Interim Protection, please visit the statutory notices page on the Cadw website. For further information about this structure, or to report any damage please contact Cadw.
Other nearby listed buildings