This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5726 / 51°34'21"N
Longitude: -0.198 / 0°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 524979
OS Northings: 187512
OS Grid: TQ249875
Mapcode National: GBR C4.NR2
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.JQ6S
Entry Name: Cheapside
Listing Date: 9 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489599
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Childs Hill
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban the Martyr Golders Green
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2587 GOLDERS WAY
31/28/10343 Golders Green
09-JUL-02 (South side)
GOLDERS GREEN ROAD
Includes: Cheapside, GOLDERS WAY, Golders Green
Parade of shops, with flats above. C.1911 onwards, by Herbert A. Welch and H. Clifford Hollis, architects. Dark red-brown brick, Flemish bond and English bond, with orange-red bands; hipped and gabled orange plain tiled roofs, brick chimneys. 4 storeys and 3 storeys with attics. Shallow concave crescent plan, with ground floor shops entered from Golders Green road; rear service access from Golders Way behind, and external access stairs to each group of flats. Vernacular revival style.
EXTERIOR: parade of 41 shops with flats over. The long principal frontage is relieved by varied wall treatment, fenestration, and roof details. Overall composition divided into three elements End corners emphasised by placing chimney breast, and triple shafted stack on the diagonal, flanked by paired canted bays, with stone mullion and transom windows on first and second floors, wood casements on the third, capped by projecting paired hipped roofs. Jettied tile-hung projection at second floor, with gabled and quarter hipped roof and linked tilehung 'M' gable with hipped margin adjoin the cornerpiece at each end of the Golders Green Road frontage. Wood mullion and transom casement windows throughout main frontage. Visual accents created by further 'M'-roofed projections. The centrepiece has 3 narrowly spaced tall canted oriel bay windows, with attic dormers above, flanked by ornamental studwork and plaster, with tile-hung triple gable above; all set between square chimneystacks and projecting hip roofs, with further studwork beyond, on second floor, over a hipped margin roof above the first floor, and capped by triple tile-hung gables. The name of the parade 'Cheapside' is spelt out in tiles over Nos.16 and 86. Ground floor shopfronts have been renewed and shop units combined many times through the years, and none are now of special interest.
REAR ELEVATION: the rear elevation to Golders Way was designed as a service mews, and is of comparatively simplified design. The ground floor had rear service yards, with access to shops through arched openings, with timber half-glazed doors and sidelights, many of which have been infilled, with the shops and stores extended rearwards to the street frontage. Access to the flats is taken from external staircases to the first floor at regular intervals, each serving pairs of flats and maisonettes, with doors set in tile-roofed lean-to's, on 4 bay projections, with wood small-paned casement windows. Hipped tiled roofs, and tall slab-like chimneystacks.
INTERIORS: ground floors much altered; interiors not inspected.
HISTORY: Welch and Hollis, who also designed the shops on the south side of Golders Green Road in 1908-9, chose a full-blooded Arts and Crafts style for Cheapside, which was detailed and executed with panache and finesse. They drew on the precedents of Temple Fortune House and Arcade House, Finchley Road, Hampstead Garden Suburb (A.J. Penty for Parker and Unwin 1909-11). Herbert Arthur Welch (1884-1953) and Henry Clifford Hollis had both worked with Parker and Unwin. Work commenced at the south-east end of the parade: Nos.10-22 were bult by 1912, Nos.24-46 were built by 1915. Nos.4-8 Golders Green Road [q.v.], completed in c.1921, formed the south-eastern continuation of this parade. A notable vernacular revival parade of shops, showing the adaptation of the Hampstead Garden Suburb style for use in this important Edwardian suburban development.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings