This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4907 / 51°29'26"N
Longitude: -0.1353 / 0°8'7"W
OS Eastings: 529554
OS Northings: 178511
OS Grid: TQ295785
Mapcode National: GBR FM.SS
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.LSTL
Entry Name: Church of St James The Less
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207372
Location: Westminster, London, SW1V
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Tachbrook
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James the Less Pimlico
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2978 NE and SE
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD, SW1
Church of St James-The-Less
(formerly listed as Church of St James-The-Less Thorndike Street)
Parish church. 1859-61 by G.E Street. Dark red brick with some black brick and stone dressings, slate roofs. Bold simple Gothic with Lombardic influence. Nave, aisles, transept and apsed chancel; particular feature of passage to north east porch above which stands the distinctive tower quite detached from church proper.
The whole is set back from former Thorndike Street with open ground through to Vauxhall Bridge Road. Plate tracery windows to aisles and clerestory where there are also three-light windows. The tower over porch is square and solid, the slated pyramidal spire corbelled out with four corner spirelets.
Interior with exposed polychrome brickwork and red and yellow glazed tiles; nave arcade has squat granite columns with shaft rings and capitals carved with stiff leaf and parables. Heavily carved pulpit with figures and reliefs by Earp. Fine fresco above chancel arch by Watts. Font with fine, ornate iron canopy by Street. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell and one clerestory window designed by Street and made by Powell, etc.
Listing NGR: TQ2955478511
Other nearby listed buildings