This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4577 / 51°27'27"N
Longitude: -0.098 / 0°5'52"W
OS Eastings: 532238
OS Northings: 174908
OS Grid: TQ322749
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.XN0
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.8M1C
Entry Name: Dorchester House
Listing Date: 7 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1072585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468873
Location: Lambeth, London, SE24
Electoral Ward/Division: Herne Hill
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Herne Hill
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3274 DORCHESTER DRIVE, SE24
963/24/10058 No. 5 (Dorchester House)
House and double garage. 1936 by Leslie H Kemp and Frederick E Tasker for Mr Morrell, a local builder and developer. Moderne style. Mottled red and brown Flemish bond brick, with flat roofs above tiled eaves and tall stacks. A long rectangular composition, with central 2-storey block flanked by integral garage to left and by single-storey billiard room to right. Roof-top tank room provides a vertical emphasis. All windows are original casements with horizontal glazing bars. Timber double doors to garage. Central entrance door of timber, with diagonal panels, set under projecting balcony of patterned vertical and horizontal bricks, and between planters of vertical bricks. Tiled door surround and mosaic steps. French window on to balcony; horizontal windows to either side of door complete a symmetrical composition. Garden front is more asymmetrical, having a regular 4-bay composition only in the centre, with smaller windows and service doors to right, and inset single-storey loggia to left. This has large (6-light) window to rear, giving on to the drawing room.
INTERIOR: the interior is particularly lavish. Hallway of double height, with open well staircase and balcony having Art Deco style metal balustrade with urn finials to hand rail. All rooms with original veneered doors and door furniture. The drawing room with stepped and moulded ceiling surround. Rooms with original fire surrounds, that to the drawing room of black marble, and that in the principal bedroom incorporating an original electric fire and fluted illuminated glass surround. Most remarkable is the bathroom en suite with the master bedroom, with onyx surrounds, peach glass mirrors and fluted lighting panels. Smaller tiled bathroom retains original tiling and fitments.
Included as a remarkably complete and lavish example of a 1930's house, for a successful local businessman with whom Kemp and Tasker had close connections.
(Source: Gray R: 'From William Booth to Six Pillars': unpublished research notes: cl991)
Listing NGR: TQ3223874908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings