This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2464 / 52°14'47"N
Longitude: 0.7199 / 0°43'11"E
OS Eastings: 585782
OS Northings: 264402
OS Grid: TL857644
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.2TZ
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.FSGR
Entry Name: The Fox Inn
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075223
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466796
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SE EASTGATE STREET
639-1/8/325 (North side)
The Fox Inn
Public house, formerly a merchant's house. C15. Timber-framed
and rendered; plaintiled roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars; half-H form with 2 jettied
cross-wings; on a corner site. On the north the jetty is at a
higher level than on the south and has the joist ends covered
by a fascia board; the wing on the south is jettied on 2 sides
with the joist ends exposed, but the corner-post has been
removed. 12-pane sash windows in flush cased frames,
irregularly spaced, 4 to the 1st storey and 6 to the ground
storey, on the east front; 2 similar upper windows and one
ground storey window and door on the Mustow Street frontage,
which has C19 crow-stepped gabling at the west end.
INTERIOR: former 2-bay open hall with a fine crown-post roof.
Open truss with a heavily cambered tie-beam supported by
arched braces meeting at the centre. Crown-post moulded at cap
and base, braced 4 ways at the head. Roof with original
smoke-blackened rafters is now within a later shallow pitched
roof set at a higher level.
Rear wall and wallplate cut away to allow for a C19 rear
extension. The upper north end wall of the hall has close
studding and tension bracing. On the ground storey, an
embattled dais beam with brackets for a former canopy. The
inserted hall ceiling has double ogee mouldings to the main
cross-beams and to joists, all with run-off stops.
The 2-bay cross-wing on the south has a boxed-in main
cross-beam on the ground storey supported by a cast-iron
pillar; one trimmer has a wide chamfer and triangle stops. On
the upper storey the principal room has exposed studding and
the tie-beam of the open truss has supporting arched braces. A
crown-post within the roof space has a plain square shaft,
braced 2 ways at the head. Rafters original with some later
The cross-wing at the north end, where the jetty is at a
higher level, had all or part of the ground storey as an open
entrance or carriage-way originally. The present ground storey
ceiling is an insertion of the early C17, with ovolo-moulding
and scroll stops to the cross-beams. On the upper storey, the
arched braced tie-beam of the open truss is exposed with the
moulded base of a crown-post. The centre of the building has
had 2 phases of alteration.
A drawing made prior to the removal of the East Gate in 1760
shows The Fox with a lower central section and 2 dormer
windows. The roof was raised to its present level in the early
C19 in conjunction with the insertion of sash windows.
Listing NGR: TL8578264402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings