History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Weedon Barracks, East Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weedon Bec, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2309 / 52°13'51"N

Longitude: -1.08 / 1°4'47"W

OS Eastings: 462933

OS Northings: 259587

OS Grid: SP629595

Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.3SQ

Mapcode Global: VHCVM.76F4

Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, East Lodge

Listing Date: 29 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360817

Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Weedon Bec

Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Church Stowe

Listing Text

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/171 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
(West side)
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, EAST LODGE

GV II*
Gatehouse. 1811-14. Flemish bond yellow brick with gauged brick arches, on sandstone ashlar plinth with moulded stone ashlar cornice; low ashlar parapet to hipped slate roof with brick stacks; cast-iron hoppers and lead rainwater pipes to parapet gutters.

Plan: ground floor comprises two rooms flanking the canal, each entered by a central doorway in the end wall; 3 rooms above.

Elevation: 2 storeys; 4-window range. Main front to west has semi-circular arched staircase/bridge spanning canal with iron handrails leading to perron and door giving access to first floor. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes throughout. Octagonal painted wood cupola with round clock face octagonal leaded dome with weathervane. Rear elevation to east has recessed centre and blank windows to ground floor either side of semi-circular arch spanning canal, with portcullis. Cupola contains striking clock signed 'Jno Thwaites and Co. Clerkenwell London 1814'.

Interior: Some original flush-beaded doors and joinery, mostly refitted late C19. The central unheated room has a winding mechanism for raising and lowering the portcullis, all concealed by panelled boxing and supported by a trussed timber trestle. King-post trusses.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.