This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2299 / 52°13'47"N
Longitude: -1.0832 / 1°4'59"W
OS Eastings: 462713
OS Northings: 259476
OS Grid: SP627594
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.2ZK
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.56QW
Plus Code: 9C4W6WH8+XP
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Wall, South East and South West Bastions and Gate Piers to South East
Listing Date: 1 August 1982
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360820
Location: Weedon Bec, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/174 BRIDGE STREET
01-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALL, SO
UTH EAST AND SOUTH WEST BASTIONS AND G
ATE PIERS TO SOUTH EAST
(Formerly listed as:
ENCLOSURE WALLS AND BASTIONS)
Enclosure walls, south-east and south-west bastions and gate-piers to south-east. Flemish bond red brick with stone coping to walls and stone-capped gate piers; C20 gates. Ten casemates built in groups of four and six along each side of the angle formed by the corner of the perimeter wall, these including a casemate at each end (probably for storage of artillery pieces) that flank a wall that spans the angle and is pierced by a central segmental-arched entrance. Semi-circular vaults to casemates, which are surmounted by bomb-proof layer of sand and gravel capped by a layer of bricks and finally a stone-flag walkway, which has low parapet with stone coping and is accessed by ramps with stone-paved stairs. Pintle hinges and fittings for doors. Some original wooden slatted doors, hung from pintle hinges mounted in stone anchor blocks Square concrete base in corner for anti-aircraft machine guns installed early in World War II. Loopholes, which are probably later insertions ordered in 1831, enlarged in late C19. Complete section of enclosure walls to southern perimeter of site, and extending northwards to meet the East Lodge and West Lodge; gate piers flank entrance to south-east.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
Other nearby listed buildings