This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2305 / 52°13'49"N
Longitude: -1.082 / 1°4'55"W
OS Eastings: 462795
OS Northings: 259544
OS Grid: SP627595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.38D
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.66CD
Plus Code: 9C4W6WJ9+66
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Storehouse Number 4
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360829
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/183 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM
Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an even-numbered group to the south side of the canal. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to north elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, being 2-light wooden casements of late C19 date, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes to first floor. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Brick parapet. The south elevation is similar but makes use of the fall of the land to accommodate a basement storey; this is treated in a robust classical manner, with grey sandstone vermiculated rustication and semi-circular arches over original nail-studded plank doors beneath louvred tympanae. The centre bay projects, having iron railings that open out to the central loading area. There is a short section of retaining wall, with steps rising to canal basin area, to either end. Interior: basement has brick tunnel vaults to each bay. 3 rows of stop-chamfered timber posts with pillow beams support first floor. Steel trusses of 1938, when roofs remodelled. Open string staircase with chamfered and scroll-stopped newels, diamond-set balusters and moulded handrail. Semi-circular arched doorways, set in semi-circular arched recesses, provide access to storerooms.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings