History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Walls and North East Bastion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weedon Bec, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2314 / 52°13'53"N

Longitude: -1.08 / 1°4'48"W

OS Eastings: 462927

OS Northings: 259648

OS Grid: SP629596

Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.3RF

Mapcode Global: VHCVM.75DQ

Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Walls and North East Bastion

Listing Date: 6 August 1982

Last Amended: 29 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281700

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360819

Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Weedon Bec

Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Church Stowe

Listing Text


1732/16/173 BRIDGE STREET
(West side)

(Formerly listed as:

Enclosure walls, gates and gatepiers to north-east bastion, for perimeter security of the site. 1804-10. Red brick in Flemish bond, with stone coping to NE bastion. Ten casemates built in groups of four and six along each side of the angle formed by the corner of the perimeter wall, these including a casemate at each end (probably for storage of artillery pieces) that flank a wall that spans the angle and is pierced by a central segmental-arched entrance. Semi-circular vaults to casemates, which are surmounted by bomb-proof layer of sand and gravel capped by a layer of bricks and finally a stone-flag walkway, which is accessed by ramps with stone-paved stairs and runways for the deployment of small artillery pieces (referred to in 1830 Ordnance Return). One loophole enlarged in late C19, this bastion not being as suited for the defence of the Depot on account of its poor field of fire. Pintle hinges and fittings for doors. C20 gates. Approx. 10m of perimeter wall extends to W, that to S extending to the East lodge (qv): this latter section includes a brick-faced concrete pillbox of 1940, with embrasures for machine guns facing into the main site, brick piers to two sets of entrances (that to N inserted for the site railway of 1899). Other late C19 and C20 extensions along the E enclosure wall are not of special interest.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.