History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aldingham Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldingham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1303 / 54°7'48"N

Longitude: -3.0996 / 3°5'58"W

OS Eastings: 328242

OS Northings: 471048

OS Grid: SD282710

Mapcode National: GBR 6NSP.R5

Mapcode Global: WH72K.CG70

Entry Name: Aldingham Hall

Listing Date: 8 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086840

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75779

Location: Aldingham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Aldingham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Aldingham St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Baycliff

Listing Text

ALDINGHAM
SD 27 SE
19/7 Aldingham Hall
A5087 (off east side)
8.3.85
G.V. II

Large house. 1846-50 by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt for the Reverend John
Stonard; bequeathed to his butler and left unfinished. Later additions and
alterations. Rough-dressed squared, coursed rubble on moulded plinth; dressed
stone buttresses and details. Graduated slate roofs with moulded copings to
gables and parapets; tower embattled. Perpendicular style; service
courtyard to rear of house. Mainly 2 storeys with central 3-stage tower.
Symmetrical 5-bay garden elevation (1:3:1). Single-storey gabled porch to
north return has architraves with 4-centred heads; glazed inner door.
Garden elevation: Traceried windows under hoodmoulds; 1st floor windows have
central finials carried up above parapet. Wing to either side has canted bay
to ground floor between full-height polygonal clasping buttresses with
conical terminations. Stone paired octagonal chimneys. Interior: Panelled
doors with Perpendicular traceried decoration and 4-centred heads. Beamed
ceilings with foliate bosses; main ground-floor room has massive moulded
beams with pendant busses. 2 tall 4-centred arches separate hall from oak
well staircase in tower; very ornate closed-string stair has pierced
trilobe panels and embattled octagonal newels. Stair-well lit by grisaille
glass windows; painted wooden ceiling. Some original marble fireplace
surrounds.


Listing NGR: SD2824271048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.