History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Cuthbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aldingham, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1301 / 54°7'48"N

Longitude: -3.098 / 3°5'52"W

OS Eastings: 328345

OS Northings: 471034

OS Grid: SD283710

Mapcode National: GBR 6NTP.26

Mapcode Global: WH72K.CGZ3

Entry Name: Church of Cuthbert

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335944

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75775

Location: Aldingham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Aldingham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Aldingham St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Baycliff

Listing Text

ALDINGHAM ALDINGHAM
SD 27 SE
Church of Cuthbert
19/3
25.3.70
II*

Church. South arcade c1190; chancel c1300; west tower; Decorated style;
aisles 1845-6. Stone rubble, nave aisles and tower roughcast, with ashlar
dressings, slate roofs. Nave has 4-bay aisles under catslide roofs. Aisles
have straight-headed windows of 2 ogee-headed lights, windows to east. Tower
has diagonal buttresses; west entrance is chamfered, hood has one stop,
3-light window above has Perpendicular tracery; 2-light straight-headed bell
openings, but that to north pointed. Coped embattled parapet and angle
pinnacles. Chancel has coped gable and buttresses flanking 3-light window;
south elevation has 2-light pointed window with transom, trefoil-headed
entrance with dog-tooth, and C17 3-light straight-headed window with
colonettes; north 3-light straight-headed window has Perpendicular tracery;
gabled vestry has 2-light east window. Interior: tower has diagonal
buttresses flanking arch. 4-bay arcades that to south has round and octagonal
piers with waterleaf capitals and stepped round arches, north arcade, C19,
has octagonal piers and single-chamfered arches. Wide chancel arch of
2 orders on corbel heads. Box pews. Squint from south aisle to chancel.
Round font is reeded possibly C12 with later base with clustered shafts.
Chancel has piscina to south wall. Late C17 communion rail, moulded with
turned balusters. North wall has Gothic memorial to Rev. J Stonard
(died 1869) by J.B. Robinson.


Listing NGR: SD2834571034

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.