This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2031 / 54°12'10"N
Longitude: -2.6617 / 2°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 356930
OS Northings: 478791
OS Grid: SD569787
Mapcode National: GBR 9MVV.J2
Mapcode Global: WH94N.2MS7
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 12 February 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086877
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75666
Location: Hutton Roof, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Hutton Roof
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 57 NE HUTTON ROOF
18/84 Church of St. John
Church. 1881-2. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs. Nave with north aisle and south-west tower, chancel with north
organ loft and vestry. Tower has stair turret clasping south-west angle and
diagonal buttress to south-east angle; 2 dripcourses; 2-light traceried bell
openings with timber louvres; top cornice and embattled parapet with higher
turret; low pyramidal roof has weathervane with pierced date: 1881. South
entrance has continuous mouldings and double-cusped light over; west side has
straight-headed 2-light hollow-chamfered window with double-cusped light over.
2-bay nave has west 2-light straight-headed single-chamfered-mullioned window
with cusping; flanking buttresses; south elevation has straight-headed windows
of 3 and 2 lights with uncusped tracery over small basement lights; weathered
buttress to east end. Aisle under swept catslide roof has straight-headed
windows of 2 and 3 lights with 3-centred heads; west end has single-chamfered
double-cusped light. Chancel has weathered base, high 3-light east window with
moulded arch and hood; gable cross. South elevation has 3-light straight-headed
window with cusped tracery, buttress to north. Organ loft and vestry under
asymmetrical gable has 2 ogee-headed lights to east over basement entrance.
North steps to entrance with coped parapet, entrance has sunk ogee; 2-light
straight-headed window with cusping. Interior: Porch in tower has timber and
glass screen dated 1924. Nave has canted ceiling with 2 collar and tie beam
trusses with tracery panels. 4-bay arcade has piers with moulded bases,
capitals and arches. Font has chamfered angles and clustered shafts. West
window has stained glass dated 1880. North window has crucifixion panel of
uncertain date. Arch between aisle and organ loft has open traceried screen.
Chancel arch has moulded responds and open screen with tracery cornice and
bratishing, similar screen to organ loft. Timber lectern, pulpit and stalls
have blind and open tracery. Altar rail has turned balusters and tracery.
Altar is similar, sedilia have heads with sunk cusped arches. Vestry has angle
fireplace and small recess. 2 stones, one dated 1616, the other a key, dated
1757, from earlier church on site.
Listing NGR: SD5693078791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings