History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newland Blast Furnace and Attached Ancillary Buildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Egton with Newland, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2083 / 54°12'29"N

Longitude: -3.0748 / 3°4'29"W

OS Eastings: 329998

OS Northings: 479709

OS Grid: SD299797

Mapcode National: GBR 6MZS.36

Mapcode Global: WH725.RH05

Entry Name: Newland Blast Furnace and Attached Ancillary Buildings

Listing Date: 14 April 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468419

Location: Egton with Newland, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Egton with Newland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Egton cum Newland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ulverston

Listing Text

SD 37 NW EGTON WITH NEWLAND NEWLAND

1255/3/10000 Newland Blast Furnace, and
attached Ancillary Buildings
14.4.93

GV II*

Iron-making furnace, and attached ancillary buildings, now either disused, or used as stores. Late C18 or earlier with later additions; remodelled to facilitate firing with coke, 1874, closure in 1891, and restoration, commenced 1991, continuing at time of inspection. Blast furnace, intended for charcoal firing, later adapted to coke firing, and with remains of casting house to south, blowing house; formerly with charging house above, to west, and ancillary buildings to east and south-west. Roughly coursed lakeland slatestone, with sandstone quoining to some external walls, and green westmorland slate roof coverings, laid to diminishing courses. Blast furnace, a now truncated, tapered square tower, with tapered and bellied circular firebrick lined furnace chamber within, now partially collapsed on west side. External wall to north, east and west walls, enclosed by attached buildings and south wall, with tapping arch, into now roofless casting shed. North elevation; stepped range of buildings of three parts. Further tower off centre, roofless, and with massive regular quoins, and a blocked inserted vent. To the east, low two bay, two storey building of rubble stone and firebrick with inserted C20 garage door and double opening above, now blocked. Inserted doorway to west, with firebrick quoining below massive timber lintel. To west of furnace, taller three-storeyed range with profile of former attached wheelhouse for water-powered blowing engine, and seatings for former roof timbers visible. Opening for water course overflow to west end of elevation. North gable with blocked double doorway to upper storey from ramped ground. South elevation with partial reconstruction of east end above courses of horizontally-set roof slate. T o the west, shallow brick arch springs from low brick retaining wall at angle of main range and east sidewall of former casting house. Furnace bay with massive segmental arch, built in firebrick to tapping opening, defined by splayed walling of great thickness. Further to west, wide, semi-circular arch-headed opening from former blowing house, and a blocked, segmentally-arched opening further west. West end bay with massive inserted timber beam, supported by cast iron column, with inner wall 1 metre wide inside line of outer wall. Interior: Firebrick lined furnace, with tuyere arch and associated masonry having collapsed on west side, and undergoing restoration, following insertion of massive time beam. Mounting blocks of former blowing engine to north-west corner of blowing house, west of furnace. Floor beams to former charging floor above. Walls to former casting house enclose open area to south, with two arched openings to east wall, and shallow gable above. Attached ancillary building to south-west, with single casement window to west elevation and blank wall onto casting house area. The Newland Furnace represents the late survival of charcoal iron-making on the west coast of Britain, and in the mid C 19, exerted a controlling influence in the industry, from sites in Newland, Bonall in Scotland, and Warsash on Southampton water. The ironworks closed in 1891.

Listing NGR: SD2999879709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.