This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9366 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -0.1417 / 0°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 527846
OS Northings: 228088
OS Grid: TL278280
Mapcode National: GBR J7L.F0W
Mapcode Global: VHGNV.HLF7
Entry Name: Howells Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162734
Location: Weston, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Weston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Weston
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WESTON HALLS GREEN
TL 22 NE
5/122 Howells Farmhouse
Manor house, a farmhouse from late C17 to 1970s, now a private house.
Late medieval front range was a W crosswing to a former open hall
extending to E, probably demolished in late C17 when SW parlour wing was
added, E range extended a little to S to same line as new parlour, and
short dairy wing added at NW. This wing extended for (?) brewhouse in
early C18 when staircase built between the 2 rear wings, and interior
adapted to plan of a new-built house of the period. Kitchen built at N
end of E range C18 or C19. House carefully restored c.1970, W wing
c.1975. Timber frame, roughcast and lined as ashlar with steep old red
tile roofs. A large 2-storeys house set W side of large former farmyard
facing E, with lean-to kitchen at N end. E front has symmetrical
arrangement of 3 1st floor windows and central entrance. 3-lights flush
casement windows (4-lights to left of door) and gabled Victorian timber
porch to half-glazed door. Stucco keystones over ground floor windows.
Tile creasing above brick casing to ground floor under roughcast finial.
Large C16 rearwall chimney to S part of front range originally with one
octagonal shaft and patterns in glazed brick, but adapted to 3 diagonal
square shafts in late C17 when SW parlour wing added and 1st floor
fireplace. C18 internal N gable chimney. 3 flush box sash windows to 1st
floor on S with 3/6 panes. Canted bay window to S end of front range.
Interior has exposed timbers, evidence for jetty to old front range
which was a 3-bays crosswing with crown-post roof, square crown-post
with heavy square-section braces to collar purlin and originally
down-braces to tie-beams. Shaped end of wallplate to support former
bargeboard, and originally without a fireplace or partitions. No obvious
break in floor joists for staircase so probably an external stair.
Depressed C17 4-centred arched head to chamber fireplace over parlour.
Name from John de Hauile flour. c.1294. By 1580 owned by Kympton family.
(VCH (1912)175: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL2784628088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings