This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9527 / 50°57'9"N
Longitude: -4.0886 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253393
OS Northings: 119101
OS Grid: SS533191
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB1L
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.DYT
Plus Code: 9C2QXW36+3H
Entry Name: Nos 5, 6, 7 and 8 Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91859
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD
23/248 Nos 5, 6, 7 and 8 including front
Row of 4 former estate cottages. Circa 1877 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr
Rolle. Snecked grey limestone with ashlar quoins and including bands of red
sandstone ahslar stone stacks and ashlar chimneyshafts including projecting bands of
red sandstone; slate roof, No. 8 still has original scallop-shaped slates.
Plan: Row of 4 contemporary cottages facing east. They number 5-8 from left to right
and each end pair are a mirror image of the other. Each cottage is 1 room wide and 2
rooms deep. 2 central axial stacks between Nos. 6 and 7 serve back-to-back
fireplaces and Nos. 5 and 8 are served by projecting end stacks. The ends are
articulated like crosswings and project very slightly forward. 2 storeys with single
storey service outshots to rear.
Exterior: Symmetrical 1:2:1-window front. The ground floor windows and the outer
first floor windows have low segmental arches over of alternate red and grey
voussoirs, the ground floor ones with projecting keystones. The centre 2 first floor
windows have arch-headed relieving arches over of similar voussoirs and there are
gables over them. Nos. 5 and 6 and Nos. 7 and 8 have paired doorways sharing the
same gabled porch; Tudor arch doorways containing original part-glazed plank doors
and in each gable a cross of red sandstone. Band of red sandstone across the front
at first floor level. The gables over each end bay, the inner first floor windows
and the porches have open shaped bargeboards, and the crosswings have gables to rear.
Interiors: not inspected but if the exteriors are anything to go by No. 8 is the best
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in
the same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house, Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now
ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3 and the whole village including the Church of St Giles
(q.v.) was remodelled soon afterwards.
Listing NGR: SS5339319101
Other nearby listed buildings