This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0963 / 51°5'46"N
Longitude: -4.1802 / 4°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 247435
OS Northings: 135264
OS Grid: SS474352
Mapcode National: GBR KK.CBVF
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.19M
Entry Name: Linhay and Adjoining Fold Yard Walls 1.14 Kilometres North North-West of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 15 September 1976
Last Amended: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98300
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015
SS 43 NE
Linhay and adjoining fold yard walls 1.14 kilometres north north-west of The Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as Linhay and adjoining fold yard walls 110 metres north north-west of The Great Sluice.
Previously listed as Roundhouse)
Linhay and adjoining fold yard walls. Circa 1815 to 1820. Shale rubble with thin course of cob below eaves. Now roofless but originally thatched roof. Long open-fronted 7-bay range with circular stone rubble piers to support roof and tallet floor. Only the beams of the tallet floor survive. 2 shallow buttresses on rear wall. Large fold yard in front with semi-circular front wall, partly open on east side with pier to gateway. Also stone rubble and with upright stone capping and buttresses at widely spaced intervals on outside.
Within the fold yard there was originally another open-fronted building, but only 2 short sections of wall and base of circular pier survive. This linhay is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and folder store for cattle. It is the only true linhay on the Marsh, the others are more strictly cattle shelters.
Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans. Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4743535264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings