History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2491 / 52°14'56"N

Longitude: 0.7128 / 0°42'45"E

OS Eastings: 585281

OS Northings: 264677

OS Grid: TL852646

Mapcode National: GBR QDT.T7J

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9QNQ

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467336

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564NW ST JOHN'S STREET
639-1/3/616 (East side)
07/08/52 Church of St John

GV II*

Parish church. 1841. By William Ranger (c.1800-1863); east end
remodelled 1875 by J Drayton Wyatt. White brick with red brick
to the interior of the high entrance porch within the base of
the tower. Early English style.
PLAN: nave and chancel; north and south aisles, west tower
with spire and entry.
EXTERIOR: the tower is in 2 stepped stages, both with steeply
pointed turrets and flying buttresses, topped by a high
octagonal brick spire. The entrance porch in the lowest stage
has 3 high pointed-arched openings and a recessed doorway. The
clerestory to the nave has 3 stepped lancet windows to each
bay. The north and south aisles have the bays delimited by
stepped buttresses; 2 pointed windows in each bay.
INTERIOR: nave and chancel continuous. Arcades in 7 bays with
slender supporting columns; vaulted timber roof. A blank
arcade at the east end and 3 lancet windows. An ornate marble
font has a cover in Jacobean style.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 145).

Listing NGR: TL8528164677

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.