This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2489 / 52°14'55"N
Longitude: 0.7125 / 0°42'44"E
OS Eastings: 585261
OS Northings: 264652
OS Grid: TL852646
Mapcode National: GBR QDT.T3R
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9QHW
Plus Code: 9F426PX6+GX
Entry Name: St Johns Hall
Listing Date: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467340
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: West Suffolk
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564NW ST JOHN'S STREET
639-1/3/618 (East side)
St John's Hall
St John's Infant School, now used as a hall for St John's
Church (qv). 1842, with later extensions. By William Ranger
(1800-1863). In white brick with stone dressings; slate roofs
with ornate red ridge tiles.
EXTERIOR: single storey, with the interior open to the roof;
designed in a version of Victorian Early English style;
irregular form. All the original windows are narrow,
single-light and pointed-headed with arched stone hood-moulds,
except on the west gable, where a 3-light window has a heavy
version of plate tracery, with a 4-centred hood-mould over and
a circular window in the same style in the apex of the gable.
On the left, an entrance within an ornate gabled porch.
A rear range, facing west, has flat pilasters between the
windows and a gabled porch with an ornate stone doorway, 3
windows above it and one at each side at a lower level. On the
south side are 2 similar, but not identical gables, that on
the south west part of a later range which infills the angle
between the original south and west ranges. This has 3
lancet-type windows in the gable end and a circular window
with radiating glazing-bars in the apex; along the west side
are paired lancets and a brick dentil cornice.
INTERIOR: contains its original pointed doors and doorways;
open timber roofs survive in part of the building.
Listing NGR: TL8526164652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings