History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen's Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontefract, Wakefield

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6928 / 53°41'33"N

Longitude: -1.3192 / 1°19'9"W

OS Eastings: 445051

OS Northings: 422028

OS Grid: SE450220

Mapcode National: GBR MT7Q.6Z

Mapcode Global: WHDC6.QF0X

Entry Name: Queen's Hotel

Listing Date: 15 January 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342689

Location: Wakefield, WF8

County: Wakefield

Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North

Built-Up Area: Pontefract

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Pontefract St Giles with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Pontefract

Listing Text

PONTEFRACT PARK ROAD
SE 45 SE
(south-west side)
3/50
Queen's Hotel
15.1.76

GV II

Hotel. 1898-1901. For Pickersgills' Brewery of Pontefract. Red brick in
English bond with yellow terracotta dressings and Westmorland slate roofs. 3
storeys with cellar and attics, 1:3:1:3:1 bays. End bays project as canted
turrets, and centre bay forms canted projection. Plinth. Ground floor: all of
terracott; in 4th and 6th bays, round-arched openings with recessed leaved
panelled doors below fanlights with Art Nouveau glazing; 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th bays
have round-arched windows with etched plate glass below transom, all round-
arched openings having raised keystones and alternate voussoirs; windows have
sill bands and imposts which line through with the straight-headed windows in
canted bays, which have transoms and joggled voussoirs to lintels, also cornices
above. First floor: end and centre canted bays as on ground floor, except with
balcony and pediment in centre; other bays have cemented apron where balconies
originally were which rested on existing corbels; cross windows with sashes;
cornice. Second floor: in each bay, paired round-arched sash windows, except
for single sashes with keystones to outer turrets, and flat-headed windows to
centre canted bay. End turrets have spirelets; centrepiece has Dutch gable with
three round-arched sash windows, in front of pyramidal roof with railings around
apex. Steep roof to main range has 2 dormer windows, above parapet with hotel
name. Corniced multiple-flue stacks to ends and on ridge to right of centre
purlins. Rear: much plainer and of irregular plan. Left return: 1:2 bays.
Right return: 3 bays similar to front. Interior: the period fittings survive
alomost intact, and there is a staircase with good cast-iron balusters. Built
to accommodate patrons of Pontefract Racecourse who arrived at the nearby
Tanshelf railway station, now demolished.


Listing NGR: SE4505122028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.