This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6944 / 53°41'39"N
Longitude: -1.5305 / 1°31'49"W
OS Eastings: 431098
OS Northings: 422092
OS Grid: SE310220
Mapcode National: GBR KTRQ.GD
Mapcode Global: WHC9Z.GDFP
Entry Name: Silcoates House and School
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135492
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342553
Location: Wakefield, WF2
Electoral Ward/Division: Wrenthorpe and Outwood West
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Wakefield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: AlverthorpeSt Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE32SW STANLEY SILCOATES LANE
4/60 Silcoates House and
House and school. The house built c1748 for John Lumb, the school 1870s
(mainly destroyed) 1907 and later, in-keeping. Brick with ashlar bands and
dressings to principal openings. Welsh slate roofs. 2 and 3 storeys. The
main house is symmetrical and consists of a 3-storey range of 3 bays with 2-
storey, 2-bay side wings. The centre bay is set in a recessed giant round-
arched panel. Central round-arched doorway with Tuscan engaged colonettes
rising from ground-floor sill band supporting a frieze and triangular
dentilled pediment. Two-storey canted bays to each side with colonnettes
dividing the 3-lights and ogee domed roofs. 12-pane sashes. Five 6-pane
sashes to 2nd floor. Moulded brackets to gutter. Lateral stacks. Hipped
roof. 12-pane sashes to side wings. The school extends to the left with a
2-storey range, with 7-bays of ground-floor casements and 1st-floor sashes
and casements. Between bays 5 and 6 is a giantpedimented projecting wing
with a giant Venetian window flanked by paired Ionic pilasters. Foundation
tablets at base, oculus in tympanum. Further to the left is another 3-storey
range, possibly 1870s, almost identical to the main house but with a further
2 bays at the left side. Further range to the left and left return, in-
keeping, but of lesser interest. The rear of the house has a central
projecting wing with a round-arched stair window. Further later additions.
Interior: not inspected but house is said to retain original stair and
The house passed from the possession of the Lumb family to the Kendal family.
In 1820 it was leased by Dissenters who formed the Yorkshire Dissenters'
Grammar School which in 1831 became the Congregational School for the
Counties of York and Lancaster and in 1832 was renamed the Northern
Congregational School. Further building took place in the 1870s and the 5-
bay 3-storey range may be a survival of this period. Much of the school was
destroyed in a fire of April 13th 1904.
N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967.
K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage, 1975.
(Wakefield EAHY Committee)
Listing NGR: SE3109822092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings