History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade I Listed Building in Audlem, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9891 / 52°59'20"N

Longitude: -2.5079 / 2°30'28"W

OS Eastings: 366004

OS Northings: 343655

OS Grid: SJ660436

Mapcode National: GBR 7T.HPBN

Mapcode Global: WH9BQ.G408

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136872

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57043

Location: Audlem, Cheshire East, CW3

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Audlem

Built-Up Area: Audlem

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Audlem St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Audlem

Listing Text

AUDLEM C.P. STAFFORD STREET
SJ 64 SE
8/18 Church of St James
12-1-67
GV I
Church. Perpendicular incorporating late C13 and early C14 remnants
with further C19 additions and alterations of 1855-6 by Lynam and
Rickman. Red sandstone ashlar with a lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel
and north western tower with a south-western porch. Tower: western
face has angle buttresses with offsets. Two-light lower window with
trefoil headed lights and a quatrefoil to the apex with a hood mould.
Above this are set two quatrefoil lights and above them a C19
clockface with an iron outer ring. The stone centre bears an
inscription J Hervey/J Gouldborne S. The girth of the tower
diminishes above this via an offset and the two-light belfry opening
has a casement moulding to the surround and two louvred lights with
trefoil heads and a quatrefoil to the apex with a hood mould above.
There are gargoyles to the angles and a battlemented parapet with
crocketed pinacles at the corners. The north face has no windows to
the lower level, two lancet windows at the level of the clockface and
is similar to the western face at belfry level and above. The eastern
and southern faces adjoin the nave and project only at belfry level
and above where they are similar to the western and northern faces.
Nave: western-end: 4-centered doorway to the inner body above which is
a 5-light C19 window with plate tracery and a hood mould.
Battlemented parapet to the gable above. At right is a buttress with
offsets and the blank end wall of the southern aisle. South side: 6
bays divided by buttresses with offsets. The second bay from left has
a superimposed C15 or C16 gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, a
central doorway with double chamfered suround and hood mould. To
either flank are 3-light cusped windows with flat heads and Tudor hood
moulds and there is a battlemented parapet above. Within the porch is
a late C13 doorway with pilarettes to either side supporting capitals,
that at left carved with a mask. Roll moulding with fillet to the
arch and hood mould above with figurehead label stops. The aisle
windows to either side are of 4 cusped early Perpendicular lights with
hood moulds and replace windows of less width which fell lower in the
wall as the stonework shows. Battlemented parapet above. The
clerestory has 12 windows arranged in pairs corresponding with the
aisle bays. Each window has 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with a
quatrefoil to the apex. Paired hood moulds above and a battlemented
parapet. The northern aisle has a vestry of 1885-6 at right and 3
bays to left each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoils above. The
aisle roof was originally of higher pitch as shown by the marks in the
stonework of the east face of the tower. The clerestory here is of 8
lights arranged in pairs. The eastern end of the southern aisle has a
C19 window of 4 Perpendicular lights with cusped heads and a hood
mould above. The north aisle has a Perpendicular window of 5 lights
with a square head. This window appears to have been curtailed when
the gable of the aisle roof was lowered. The chancel has to its
southern side a priests door of Decorated form and early C14 date with
an ogee head and hood mould. To the left and above at the right are
3-light Perpendicular windows.
The chancel, which was extended in 1885-6 at right, has a blank
southern wall. The northern chancel wall is blank. The eastern end
has a reset early Perpendicular window of 5 cusped lights with panel
tracery above set in a 4-centered arch.
Interior: southern nave arcade of 6 arches having octagonal piers with
splay caps and hood moulds. The pier which abuts the western wall has
a capital set in the lower body of the pier indicating the original
height of the springing of the arcade. The northern arcade of 4
arches is similar and has to its western end, set in the lower walling
of the tower, the springing of an earlier arch which shows the nave to
have been less wide. Hollow chamfered surrounds to the clerestory
lights. Wooden panelled nave roof with heavily moulded beams,
probably originally having more ornamental bosses. Octagonal pulpit
of C17 but altered in the C19 and heavily cleaned. Wall memorial in
chancel by B BROMFIELD/LIVERPOOL to Nathaniel Wettenhall of Hankelow
d. 1778 in white, grey and yellow marble with an aedicular surround
and coat of arms below in rococo cartouche.


Listing NGR: SJ6600443653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.