This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3853 / 50°23'6"N
Longitude: -4.464 / 4°27'50"W
OS Eastings: 224927
OS Northings: 56831
OS Grid: SX249568
Mapcode National: GBR NF.T562
Mapcode Global: FRA 18J0.YH3
Entry Name: Limekiln 40m to South East of Old Post Office
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60734
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NW MORVAL SANDPLACE
3/75 Limekiln 40m to south east of Old
- Post Office
Limekiln. Possibly C18. Stone rubble with round arched dressed stone openings with
deeply splayed reveals. Rectangular in plan probably with 2 cylindrical chambers
within. Openings on right and left with further half round arch on front leading to
third grate served by right-hand chamber. Flat top, built into side of steep slope
to aid top loading with road access from left. Much overgrown at time of inspection.
Built about 60m to east of East Looe River and Liskeard and Union Canal which was
authorised in 1825 for agricultural work linking Liskeard with the tidal water at
Looe. Limestone carried by barge was burnt at the 4 limekilns at Sandplace (qv
Limekiln Cottage and limekiln adjoining to left, limekiln 40m south east of Old Post
Office, Limekiln on A 387 to north of Bamada and Limekilns adjoining Higher Cliff in
Duloe Parish). The canal was later replaced by the Liskeard and Caradon Railway
opened in 1846. Full accounts for the canal including plans and sections,
correspondence and list of land use in Cornwall County Record Office.
Records extant for erection of limekilns at Sandplace by John Francis Buller of
Morval in 1743 and 1766-67 (Anthony : BA/20/17b). Farm accounts reveal that Morval
lands received a heavy dressing of lime to counteract the acidity of the soil making
it suitable for wheat and barley. An annual lease of 1777 required each acre of land
to be dressed with 80 horse loads of good salt, sea sand or four 16 gallon bushels of
Cornwall Record Office Turnpikes, Canal and Ferries Handlist No. 5, 1983
Pounds, N.J.G. 'Barton Farming in Eighteenth Century Cornwall'. Journal of the Royal
Institution of Cornwall, New Series, Volume VII, part I, 1973, 55-75
Listing NGR: SX2492756831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings