This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.384 / 50°23'2"N
Longitude: -4.4626 / 4°27'45"W
OS Eastings: 225021
OS Northings: 56689
OS Grid: SX250566
Mapcode National: GBR NF.T5KH
Mapcode Global: FRA 18J1.57X
Entry Name: Limekiln on A387 25m to North of Bamada
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60735
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NE MORVAL SANDPLACE
4/76 Limekiln on A 387 25m to north of
Limekiln. Possibly C18. Stone rubble with dressed stone arches. Almost square in
plan with 2 round arched dressed stone openings with deeply splayed reveals, blocked
to rear and single cylindrical chamber within. Flat top, built into side of steep
slope to aid top loading with stone rubble retaining walls to rear. Much overgrown
at time of inspection.
Built about 80m to east of East Looe River and Liskeard and Union Canal which was
authorised in 1825 for agricultural work linking Liskeard with the tidal water at
Looe. Limestone carried by barge was burnt at the 4 limekilns at Sandplace (qv
Limekiln Cottage and limekiln adjoining to left, Limekiln 40m to south east of Old
Post Office, Limekiln on A 387 to north of Bamada and limekilns adjoining Higher
Cliff in Duloe Parish). Limekilns further to north (qv limekiln to south of South
Lankelly in St Keyne Parish and limekiln at Moorswater in Liskeard Rural District).
The canal was later replaced by the Liskeard and Caradon Railway, opened in 1846.
Full accounts for the canal including plans and sections, correspondence and list of
land use in Cornwall County Record Office.
Records extanct for erection of limekilns at Sandplace by John Francis Buller of
Morval in 1743 and 1766-67 (Antony: BA/20/17b). Farm accounts reveal that the Morval
lands received a heavy dressing of lime to counteract the acidity of the soil making
it suitable for wheat and barley. An annual lease of 1777 required each acre of land
to be dressed with 80 horse loads of good salt, sea sand or four 16 gallon bushels of
Cornwall Record Office Turnpikes, Canal and Ferries Handlist No. 5, 1983
Pounds, N.J.G. 'Barton Farming in Eighteenth Century Cornwall'. Journal of the Royal
Institution of Cornwall, New Series, Volume VII, part I, 1973, 55-75
Listing NGR: SX2502156689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings