This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.538 / 54°32'16"N
Longitude: -1.2026 / 1°12'9"W
OS Eastings: 451688
OS Northings: 516153
OS Grid: NZ516161
Mapcode National: GBR NH1Z.F0
Mapcode Global: WHD76.H6JF
Entry Name: Loggia Circa 20 Metres South of Captain Cook Birthplace Museum
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59785
Location: Middlesbrough, TS7
Electoral Ward/Division: Marton East
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Cleveland St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH STEWART PARK,
NZ 51 NW (5116)
4/75 Loggia, c.20m south
of Captain Cook
Loggia c.1860, as part of Marton Hall, demolished 1960. Sandstone ashlar
with flat roof. Italianate. 1 storey, 7 bays. South face : stilted
segment-headed openings with pilaster-and-keyed-archivolt surrounds.
Pilasters between bays rise to entablature and blocking course. Short
projecting wall at north-east angle, with chamfered quoins on south face.
Similar one-bay returns. North face has 6 corresponding openings, blank
centre, and slightly recessed west end bay. Arcading with moulded plinth,
impost strings, cornice and shallow parapet with 2 water shoots. 2 openings
at ends hold ornate mid-C20 wrought iron screens. INTERIOR: both walls have
similar treatment as external south face, with blind middle bay in north
wall. Between 2nd and 3rd bays, a similar transverse arch springing from
corbels. Stone-flagged floor with patterned encaustic-tiled middle bay.
Listing NGR: NZ5168816153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings