History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stewart Park Depot

A Grade II Listed Building in Marton East, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.54 / 54°32'24"N

Longitude: -1.2003 / 1°12'0"W

OS Eastings: 451839

OS Northings: 516376

OS Grid: NZ518163

Mapcode National: GBR NH1Y.Y9

Mapcode Global: WHD76.J4NW

Entry Name: Stewart Park Depot

Listing Date: 2 July 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329539

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59783

Location: Middlesbrough, TS7

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Marton East

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Cleveland St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Guisborough

Listing Text

MIDDLESBROUGH STEWART PARK,
NZ 51 NW (5116)
Marton.
4/73 Stewart Park Depot.
2.7.76
- II
Stable block with lodges, dated 1864 on east lodge. Now used as parks
department depot. Red brick with blue brick and sandstone bands and
dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Large U-plan range with east and west lodges
flanking entrance to courtyard. High Victorian Gothic style. One storey.
West lodge: 6-bay south front with projecting gabled 2-bay centre; entered
from courtyard. 4-light windows with Caernarvon-headed lower lights,
segment-headed upper lights and hollow-chamfered surrounds and mullions;
mid-C20 casements. 3-light mullioned attic window in gable has
segment-headed lights. Painted battered sills. Tablet with raised
monogram, above windows in centre. Arch-braced collared bargeboards, with
arch-braced hammerbeams and turned finials. Steeply-pitched roof has bands
of fishcale slates, partly-renewed transverse ridge stacks and early C20
raking dormers. Similar east lodge has mid-C20 garage doors in 2 left bays,
tablet dated 1864 in centre and original gabled roof dormers with similar
bargeboards. Central tall wood lantern has cusped bell openings with
shaped louvres under gablets with similar bargeboards; and pyramidal spire
with ball finial and weather vane. Courtyard elevations partly obscured by
mid-C20 lean-to sheds. 13-bay north stable range has slightly-projecting
gabled 3-bay centre, with Caernarvon-headed doorway under segment-headed
overlight, flanked by 4-light windows of which only segment-headed upper
lights are visible. 3-light mullioned window with segment-headed lights in
gable. Bolckow arms and crest between floors. Similar bargeboards.
Similar dooways in 3rd and 11th bays, flanked by similar 2-light windows,
under round openings with patterned radial hit-and-miss, in segment-headed
recesses. Flanked by buttresses. Windows in 4th and 5th bays have
hit-and-miss under casements. All openings have hollow-chamfered surrounds.
Similar paired dormers over 3rd and 11th bays. East stable range has
similar details and 2 dormers. 8-bay west coach-house range has segmental
arcade with renewed boarded doors and similar paired windows. 4th bay
blind. Off-centre stack with chamfered plinth, clasping pilasters, pilaster
strips and chamfered cap. Outer faces of stable block have similar
detailing. Former stable block to Marton Hall, demolished 1960. Mid C20
sheds in courtyard, and stables and bothies to north and east are not of
special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5183916376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.