This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5722 / 54°34'20"N
Longitude: -1.213 / 1°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 450974
OS Northings: 519952
OS Grid: NZ509199
Mapcode National: GBR MHZK.5R
Mapcode Global: WHD70.BBMP
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59739
Location: Middlesbrough, TS3
Electoral Ward/Division: North Ormesby
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: North Ormesby Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH JAMES STREET
NZ 51 NW (5119) (north side), North
4/43 Church of the
Church, 1868/69, with tower 1880/81, by William White (London); Allison
Bros., builders. Extended 1879 by Armfield and Bottomley; Lady chapel 1925;
south-west porch 1929. Nave and chancel gutted by fire 1977. Brick; Welsh
slate roof. South-west tower, remains of nave arcades, north and south
aisles and porch. Early English style. Double-chamfered plinth, angle
buttresses and buttresses between bays. 5-stage tower has
slightly-projecting west porch, with renewed double doors under blocked
fanlight, in 5-stepped round-headed surround. Brass tablet in cusped niche
in left buttress records building, architect and builder. 2-stage vice at
south-west angle. Round-headed windows in lower 3 stages; 4th stage has
tall deeply-recessed bell openings with louvres in 4-stepped surrounds.
Clock faces in similar wide round-headed surrounds in 5th stage.
Hoodmoulds, and strings between stages. Straight parapet and octagonal
pyramidal-roofed bartizans at angles, with blind round-headed windows,
moulded cornices and crocket finials. 5-bay south aisle and 4-bay north
aisle, with paired cusped windows. North has boarded double doors in
round-headed opening in 3rd bay; south has similar in pointed surround in
4th bay and late-C20 7-light mullioned window in 5th bay. One-bay porch has
boarded double doors in canted west return. INTERIOR : 3-bay nave arcades
of 2 hollow-chamfered orders on piers keeled at angles, with carved foliate
stone capitals and chamfered bases; round responds and continuous hoodmould.
boarded doors at east ends of aisles. Octagonal marble font on chamfered
square base. Late-C20 church adjoining east end, on site of original
chancel, is not of special interest. Tower is important local landmark.
Included for townscape value of tower.
Listing NGR: NZ5097419952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings