This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2357 / 50°14'8"N
Longitude: -5.0064 / 5°0'23"W
OS Eastings: 185701
OS Northings: 41626
OS Grid: SW857416
Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.M84S
Mapcode Global: FRA 08DD.PDL
Entry Name: Clocktower with Stable Yard and Office Yard Adjoining Tregothnan to the North East
Listing Date: 27 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62908
Location: St. Michael Penkevil, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: St. Michael Penkevil
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Michael Penkevel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
In the entry for
SW 84 NE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL TREGOTHNAN PARK
4/70 Clock tower with stable
yard and office yard
adjoining Tregothnan to
GV the north-east
The second sentence of the description shall be amended to read - 'C18, altered
1874 (office yard on back stables)'.
SW 84 NE ST MICHAEL PENKIVEL TREG0THNAN PARK
4/70 Clocktower with Stable Yard and Office yard .
adjoining Tregothnan to the north-east.
Stable yard and offices of a great house. 1816-18 by William Wilkins for the Fourth
Viscount Falmouth (office yard) 1845-8 by Lewis Vulliamy for the second Earl of
Falmouth (stable yard). Yellow brick with stone dressings to main (east front) other
parts rubble with stone dressings, slate roofs. Double courtyard plan in a Tudor
Collegiate style. East front of two storeys with central gatetower with centred arch
flanked by octagonal turrets. First floor with two 2-light mullioned and transomed
windows flanking clock, battlements and Tudor terracotta chimneys above. Two bays,
to either side of tower, six light mullioned and transomed windows below, five light
above. Battlemented parapet, tall Tudor terracotta stacks. Internal faces of the
stable yard are in rubble and show some later alterations. Five carriage doors with
four centred heads on north-east side. Granite sett paving. The 'office-yard'
which is the original stable yard, is both smaller and plainer, particularly the
exterior walls and adjoins to the south. The development of these buildings is
uncertain at present. Sources: see Tregothnan.
Listing NGR: SW8570141626
Other nearby listed buildings