History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Tresco Priory and Associated Monuments and Attached Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Tresco, Isles of Scilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.9474 / 49°56'50"N

Longitude: -6.3301 / 6°19'48"W

OS Eastings: 89472

OS Northings: 14242

OS Grid: SV894142

Mapcode National: GBR BXRT.H9N

Mapcode Global: VGYBY.7LC4

Entry Name: Remains of Tresco Priory and Associated Monuments and Attached Walls

Listing Date: 12 February 1975

Last Amended: 14 December 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62558

Location: Tresco, Isles of Scilly, TR24

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: Tresco

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hugh Town

Listing Text


SV 8914
1358-0/7/123

TRESCO
Remains of Tresco Priory and associated monuments and attached walls

(Formerly Listed as: Remains of Tresco Priory in Gardens of Tresco Abbey)

12.02.75

GV

II

Remains of Priory. c.1300; much rebuilt in C19. Granite rubble
and cut granite walls. Nave, chancel and site of crossing.
Chamfered arch of 2 orders to possible former crossing arch
and smaller arch to ritual epistle side of nave. Other
fragmentary features include north entry with chamfered jambs
of 2 orders. Inscribed C6 Early Christian tombstone reset
below the east jamb of the doorway reads "THI FILI...COGI (or
TOGI)". In use for burials until C19, and memorials include
chest tomb with slate top to James Pender, d.1711, and Mary
Nicholas, d.1807. The priory is mentioned in a charter of
Henry I as belonging to Tavistock Abbey in the reign of Edward
the Confessor. Subsidiary features: tall granite rubble walls
enclose garden to south east and extend approx. 50m to west
with return of 40m to north.

(P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 5; B.H.
St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 12-14;
Buildings of England: Pevsner, N., and Ratcliffe, E.: Cornwall
(London: 2nd ed. 1970), 210).


Listing NGR: SV8947614232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.